DJM's favorite finish?

Who is the manufacturer of the "tung" oil/ poly finish that DJM so proudly slathers on everything?

I would recognize (back of) the can if I ever saw it, but I've never seen anything remotely resembling it in a woodworking store. It is supposedly "commercially available".

Although I usually use a "sam maloof" type mixture for those applications, I am mildly interested because I have been archiving DJM's show off DVR onto DVD and have seen the (back of) can a number of times here lately.

Reply to
Swingman

Odds are it's OEM from someone's factory with a supplier label.

Reply to
George

Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

The following is from DJ Marks website under faqs.

----------------------- I have tried various methods of mixing linseed oil and tung oil in the past, but since the mid 80's I've been using a product called Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal made by the General Finishes Company and available through mail order as well as from Woodcraft.

Since doing the first six seasons of Woodworks, this finish has been improved and no longer has the make-up stated in the show. I use two products starting with a sealer and finishing with a top coat. Company representatives state the sealer (which is clear but also available in different colored stains) is a blend of modified linseed oil, oil modified urethane, and alkyd resin, and dryers. The topcoat I use is called Arm-R-Seal and is now an oil modified urethane with dryers. The Arm-R-Seal is available in gloss, semi gloss, and satin.

-----------------------

Reply to
Mike S.

Rockler has it also.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Imagine if it's Minwax?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I don't remember off hand. If you go to Davids part of the DIY website, you can find out. It's in the FAQ.

Reply to
CW

Here's the link to DJ Marks FAQ's.

Mike S.

Oh good grief...

It isn't. And it's not like he's keeping it a secret either:

Lee DeRaud

Looks exactly like the back label of a General Finishes can. IIRC it has been mentioned that when he buys the product it the General Finishes brand.

Reply to
Leon

... as I've yet to hear him mention the application of two different products/finishes, that clears up the mystery of how he gets that consistent appearance from piece- to-piece with his proverbial "4 or 5 coats of tung oil" or "hand rubbed oil finish" that he repeats like a mantra at the end of most segments.

I've bought General Finishes products, but have not used the clear Arm R Seal and did not recognize the back of the can I've seen in some segments (he usually has it in a jar) as a GF product.

I wonder if Arm R Seal holds up its appearance over the years better than what I consider a more traditional "hand rubbed oil finish", a la the sam maloof type, which tends to dull over time unless reapplied periodically?

Reply to
Swingman

I've been using the Prelude line for years and been quite happy with it...turns out it's a GF product also. Don't know when it happened, but either (1) GF stopped making it, (2) they can't sell it in California anymore (which has happened with many other products), or (3) Rockler just quit carrying it. We'll see how this "new" stuff works.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

On Mon, 30 May 2005 07:47:30 -0500, the inscrutable "Swingman" spake:

My froe handle has 4 coats of Waterlox on it. It looks the same now as it did 5 years ago when I built it. (4 or 5 uses plus bouncing around in the shop for half a decade. ;)

"Protection" is highly overrated (a buzzword) and 95% of your projects will never need anything nearly as tough as a poly/urethane (plastic) finish. Improperly applied (as most poly is) it looks like the piece has been wrapped in Saran.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do you know what this means---> ?

It was a joke...