DJ 20 finally arrived

Greetings All, After a lot of thought, I finally ordered the aforementioned 8" jointer from Amazon. I've had 'lust in my heart' (Jimmy Carter) for one of these for a while, and since we are doing an addition to the casa (house), I could finally justify getting one. That damned Amazon sure makes it easy to buy big toys, especially with that EVIL 'One Click' option they have. I know I can turn it off, but I don't have the willpower. ;-)
Since I have had a crew of app 8 framing carpenters here for the last few days, I figured it would be a good time to arrange for the delivery and have them help me. But wouldn't you know it, on the scheduled day of delivery it rained and the crew didn't wasn't able to work. So here I am by myself trying to figure out what to do. In total I'm staring at 530 lbs of Chinese (Damn) steel in a couple of boxes next to my garage and imagining the hernia this will cost me. But lo' and behold I get a really cool driver who says between us we can do it ourselves. GREAT!!! If I had to refuse delivery and reschedule it would cost me $40 and the aggravation of another delivery wait. So we are able to slide the boxes of off the truck in wheel them into my garage. HOT DAMN!!!! I gave the guy $$$ to buy himself a good lunch for the help. He could have easily said that it was up to me to offload the boxes, and he would have been right.
The WWing gods are continuing to smile upon me..... So it's time to sacrifice more virgin wood.                             Mark L. Too bad I can't set it up for a few days while my basement is torn apart
Putting it together requires two people or more when you put the jointer on the base. Check the base very closely for bent or damaged corners...
It the caddy of 8" jointers...
Mark L. wrote:

Not necessarily. I used a floor jack to raise the top to the level of the base. Then it was just a matter of sliding the top over onto the base. Do be careful, it's a heavy beast and if it falls on your foot....
scott
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:52:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I vote for two strong men to lift the top onto the base. These men should not have back problems and wear leather gloves. As stated, this top is one heavy sucker. Be careful.
When it's time for assembly, I'll have a few friends over just in case.
Phisherman wrote:

I'm running out of friends. The three guys who helped get a General 650 through a 36" door (with me ordering DON'T LIFT BY THE WINGS!!! <G>) no longer answer the phone when I call, the neighbors who helpedwith the DJ-20 are on to me, and my wife is 5'2", 115 pounds.
Others have helped with compressors, band saws, etc...
Maybe we need to form local chapters of the "woodworker's tool moving network?"
Barry
I feel your pain..... All my neighbors are too old and my wife is about the size of yours.
B a r r y wrote:

<snip>

I could use some help moving a 480lb MM16 ;) Is there a local chapter in the HTFD area?
Rich

You, me, Lee Gordon, and our distant field agents, Mike & Ed.
Barry

If I help, do I get to play with it for a while? Just a little while.

I never let mine hit the floor... off loaded it from the truck to saw horses that were a tick higher than the stand then simply slid it sideways onto the stand.
It's a very nice toy... I mean tool. ;-)
John
Oh John, it's ok to admit it's a toy. We're all adults here.
Mark says "Hello everyone" and the wreck responds in unison "Hello Mark". Mark continues, "I'm a toolaholic and it's been 6 days since I've bought a tool." The wreck claps approvingly......
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Ready? On the count of three:
1...2...3
you suck
I thought suckage comments were only reserved for gloats and great deals.... But thanks anyway.