dizum.com - policy on forgery

"[13] Q: What is your policy on forgery?

A: We have a policy against a user of Dizum making posts in a way that uses the email address of another user on Usenet or the Internet, in an attempt to deceive readers of the true identity of the poster, without that email address owner's permission. In addition, if you are the victim or witness to a forgery, you may want to contact the appropriate law enforcement agency so they may then contact us and follow-up as they feel appropriate. If you feel that your email address is being forged and you do not want to make use of the Dizum mail2news gateway nor the Dizum remailer we can add that address to the blockfile. This will disable any postings with that from line. "

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I went to dizum.com and couldn't find a way to contact them about the forgeries. I read through the "abuse" section several times. What did I miss? :)

dave

Tom Wats> "[13] Q: What is your policy on forgery?

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Interesting, but I don't think the same e-mail address is being used. Seems only the user name is being used.

Reply to
Leon

rec.woodworking:1010989??

I went to dizum.com and couldn't find a way to contact them about the forgeries. I read through the "abuse" section several times. What did I miss? :)

dave

them

in a way that

Internet, in

the poster,

addition, if you are

contact the

contact us and

your email

of the Dizum

address to

from line. "

Reply to
Pop Rivet

exuse me? I don't see an answer from you, amongst all the header/body info you included.

dave

P snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I think he was repeating what Tom said because That was apparently what you missed.

Reply to
Leon

apparently what you

the

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Initial point-of-contact is " snipped-for-privacy@dizum.com". This'll get an auto-response which contains a separate address to mail to, 'for real issues'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Could you make sense out of that? Seems to me they're saying "call the cops, you big baby, and maybe we'll do something if the cops call us".

Dizum does not respond to reports of abuse.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I haven't seen even an auto-response from this address.

AFAICT dizum doesn't care one bit about what crap passes through their servers.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

perfect! Thanks, Robert.

dave

Robert B> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dizum is probably run by the terrorists.

Reply to
Leon

You should note their slogan: "Dizum Internet Services: Your Internet Problem Provider"

They explicitly say that they protect people from getting TOS (termination of service) from flame wars; translated, they allow (and partially exist to) people to be as rude as possible, quite possibly beyond the person's ISP TOS (terms of service). Their quite clearly stated position is that if you see something illegal going on then call the cops, not them.

About the only thing that might get them to move on the issue is to find the wreck twit using dizum to spam (which they do not approve of).

Other solutions are to complain to dizum's service provider (probably limited success). There are solutions in the grey zone; for example, enough people visit their web-site "regularly", then it might get a little irritating to them. Submitting a *lot* of abuse reports might get irritating. It also rides a fine legal edge. Anything beyond that is quite possibly illegal and almost certainly an abuse of *your* ISPs TOS.

Basically, you have to live with it, for the most part. The miscreant is a pain in the butt, but the recent virulent anti-catholic postings were much more worrying to me, at least.

The miscreant is simple someone who has a fairly severe mental illness and some obvious issues with aggression. I very much doubt he is entirely successful keeping them out of real life and has probably had run-ins with the law previously and will have further ones. Although he is aggravating and rude, you should feel bad for him; this is a mental illness, not just a jerk.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Paul, I gotta love a guy who uses "miscreant"!!

I miss Sledgehammer...

dave

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

--snip--

Looks like the denizens of dizum are a plague on more than just the wreck. I'm told, and have no desire to argue either way, that anonymous remailers serve (or can serve) a valid purpose. But I'm sure that support for pointless harassment is not that purpose and that they would police their users. And before I get flamed for advocating a restriction on first amendment rights, note that a strict reading of the Constitution, as amended, only prevents the US Congress from making laws abridging free speech. That is far from being a blanket endorsement of free speech.

I assume the trolls are still at it. I notice that there are significantly more headers available than Agent downloads when I get new headers from the Wreck. I assume the difference are those that are filtered out by NetProxy, nee nFilter.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Like any law enforcement agency is going to care about someone forging a username on Usenet, unless they are using the forgery to commit a real crime.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Brian Elfert responds:

Forgery and fraud. What would YOU define as a "real crime"?

Charlie Self "Wars spring from unseen and generally insignificant causes, the first outbreak being often but an explosion of anger." Thucydides

Reply to
Charlie Self

Damages can be hard to pin down.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Fraud: Deceitful conduct designed to manipulate another person to give something of value by (1) lying, (2) by repeating something that is or ought to have been known by the fraudulent party as false or suspect or (3) by concealing a fact from the other party which may have saved that party from being cheated. The existence of fraud will cause a court to void a contract and can give rise to criminal liability.

do not see any fraud.

Considering there was no apparent intent to do anybody out of any money or to do (or incite) physical damage to anyone, I seriously doubt there could be criminal charges that would even remotely stick.

Libel perhaps, but that is not criminal (but can be very serious).

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

' Yes, they are crimes, but normally those crimes are used to gain items of monetary value.

If a forger isn't really hurting someone other than smearing their name on usenet and they aren't a public figure, the police probably wouldn't even take a report.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert