DIY Slatwall?

Has anyone made their own slatwall? It looks like it should be relatively easy to do with the right router bit, and then you get plywood slatwall for about the same price as the MDF stuff.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

- - - - - - - - - - - -

--=20 Hank Gillette

"How come the public can't tell the difference between the war hero and = the former town drunk?" -- Bill Maher

Reply to
SwampBug

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the router bit and sharpening. MDF is hard on bits and so is the slotwall cut.

Reply to
mp

I have an anti-gloat on this. Back before my wife undertook her current position in child development, she worked as a construction manager for a very large construction company. During a rehab of a high-end Chicago department store, she let them throw tons of slatwall right into the dumpster. I would have liked to have given it a try.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Yahbut, the machines to make slatwall weigh somewhere in the "ton" range (give or take a few) compared to your router that you can pick up one handed. Believe me on this one, it's kinda like making your own gravel if you know what I mean.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

You blow.

/rick.

Reply to
RickS

I know Exactly what you mean. Though my wife thought of the job as "repairing the front stoop" my impression was, "The *deleted* who built this *deleted* ran untreated wood down to the dirt. I oughta dig a hole, pour a slab and THEN rebuild this *deleted*"

However "Dig a hole" rapidly became "Turn slate into gravel and thank God that it's slate and not granite."

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

whaaa? I have some big 'ol rocks and a hammer... them rocks are in the way and what I really need is some gravel. I think I'm gonna....

Reply to
bridger

Rockler has the bit for this operation. It's even on sale this week.

Reply to
dan cordes

Yeah, I've seen the bit. I was just wondering if anyone had actually used one.

Reply to
Hank Gillette