DIY powered respirator?

Simple paper dust mask is leaky and uncomfortable for me, and the leaks also fogs up the goggle.

Powered respirator (PAPR) cost too much. Is there a DIY plan for making one? It looks like some sort of fan plus a dust mask should do the job. Picking the right fan and dust mask is the tricky part.

Reply to
james

I think I could come up with something involving a windowbox fan, some leftover plexi, a few feet of shop vac hose and a long extension cord.

Want me to give it a try over the weekend?

Reply to
else24

I think I could come up with something involving a windowbox fan, some leftover plexi, a few feet of shop vac hose and a long extension cord.

Want me to give it a try over the weekend?

Spend the money, if you make your own and it doesn't work - you could die.

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C

Don't have link at hand but I know there are full face shields w/ small fans that aren't terribly expensive if it's simply dust (as must be since the paper masks are useless for vapors anyway)...

--

Reply to
dpb

Simpler still, buy a new sander with dust collection. I never wear a mask and never deal with dust any more. Festool has several affordable sanders that fill the bill. Of course a quiet vac works wonders with these sanders.

Reply to
Leon

Yup, been there - even worse if, like me, you have a full beard and glasses.

Yes, powered respirators are expensive but they work.

I spent a while thinking about it then decided the only thing to do was to "bite the bullet". I was also "encouraged" by one of my daughters who works in "respiratory investigation" at a large hospital and another one who is a radiotherapy technician, treating cancer patients.

They are properly tested and rated for the job. I have read safety reports on "simple paper" dust masks and you might as well not bother. Most of them are rated "for nuisance dust only" and are not suitable for anything harmful. Particle size is also very important. Wood dust is carcinogenic, some woods worse than others and MDF, if you use it it, worst of all.

Get yourself a proper mask, rated for MDF, and won't have any health problems in the future.

Look at it this way, a decent mask will probably cost you less than the first consultation with your doctor, never mind the treatment.

Reply to
Stuart

Yes, but you have to admit, Festool is exceptional a dust collection. Factor in the cost of them and most people will consider breathing the dust first.

Reply to
Upscale

Absolutely true! I dealt/put up with dust for almost 25 years. Finally I added a dust collector. The Domino requires a vac to be collected to properly evacuate the mortises that it creates so I took advantage of the substantial discount by buying the Domino, Domino assortment and Vac all at the same time, a big pill to swallow but about $200-$300 less expensive that way IIRC. Any way with the combination of the dust collector and the Festool vac creating less mess and greatly easing clean up, I got used to the cleaner working environment rather quickly. Then I decided to retire my

15 year old PC right angle ROS and SpeedBloc finish sander with the Festool Rotex and Festool finish sander. Wow, no more sanding dust. I had no clue that the dust control on these sanders would be that good. It tool me quite a while to trust that the sanders, especially the finish sander, were even working. "No dust" is deceiving. Knowing when to change worn out sand paper is a bit tough also. Worn out sand paper looks like new sand paper, you have to feel the paper with your finger to know when to change it. Fortunately the paper lasts even longer because it does not get clogged. Had I known how effecient all of this dust control/collection worked I would have made the switch many years ago.
Reply to
Leon