DIY - Jet Midi Lathe Stand

Call it a Jet mini or a midi, but either way, the steel stand sold as an accessory didn't impress me much.

So I built this thing. Rock solid, no vibration or sway, and other than a modicum of time, it cost very little to build. The lathe is registered to the top with hanger bolts, but not tightly, only to control vibration which might allow movement. Thick woven synthetic pads are located under each mounting boss for further vibration absorption. The bed is 3.25" thick, and 10" wide.

Further improvements include a removable tool-tray on the headstock end for chucks, jaws, tools, etc., and a sloped shelf for holding cutting tools that are awaiting use.

is based upon this CAD drawing...

wood, it may loosen up over time, but so far it's impressively solid - even with a big, unbalanced cherry blank mounted. The 1/2" carriage bolts may be tightened to compensate for 'wear'. Blocks are glued and screwed, and the entire thing knocks down.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Nice job looks very solid. Question what software did you use for the CAD

3D draw>
Reply to
Connor Aston

Thanks. Old ver of Autodesk and RenderMan.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Greg,

Awesome job. How would one go about getting some detailed plans and materials list?

Reply to
Bob N