DIY dust collector with squirrel cage fan

Hello all, (Also posted on rec.crafts woodturning) Sometime back on this group I saw a link to a page that gave a fairly good description of putting together a dust collector using the squirrle cage fan and blower from a home furnace. Well I have just such a fan and motor and am looking for some directions on how to put the thing together. What I have is a .25 HP 115v motor. Fan is approx. 9.5" id. The whole unit weighs about

30lbs. I plan to build a frame around the motor and then a plywood box around the frame and then either hang the thing from the ceiling, set it on a stand or on the floor. Some questions:
  1. There is a black and a yellow wire coming from the motor. Is the first the hot wire and the second the neutral?
  2. I would like to use it at least inpart, to collect the dust from the lathe when I sand. Would attaching a 4-6" tube to the input side of the dust collector and the other end directly where the dust flies be a good idea?
  3. I also have a rather cheap dust collector (.75 HP 750 CFM) I bought sometime back. It has the original bag. Now I was wondering if replacing the bag with heavy duty canvas would be an improvement? The canvas would be the same as used in the old style army duffle bags - really heavy stuff.

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin

Your 1/4 horse motor is probably way too small. I realize you desire to save the green stuff. I am getting ready to try something that may increase the CFM of my Harbor Freight DC. I am going to add a second bag to it. Will place two collector rings on top of a short plenum, centered over the present collector ring. I am using a "Shaker Felt" bag from Highland Hardware that is susposed to stop everything from .1 micron up, once it builds up a dust cake. Seems to work well with the single bag I have now. However, with a rate of 40-45 CFM per square foot of filter area, the presnet bag limits me to about 600 CFM. Hopefullly, repeat hopefully, the dual bag setup will get me somewhere near 1,200.

Deb

Kev> Hello all,

Reply to
Dr. Deb