DIY Drum Sander, Sourcing Roller

Thanks, the sites "The page cannot be found"

Reply to
BlueDude

snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) wrote in news:41754eb7.2031016 @news.individual.net:

Go garage saling and pick up an unwanted treadmill. Lots of parts there, motors, controls and roller. They are always real cheap!

Reply to
Joe Willmann

Yea...I can relate to that, too. It is kind of scary how easy it is to get rid of a big chunk of cash on almost anything these days. For example..I am getting stronger as I age. When I was 18, I had to make three trips to carry $100 worth of groceries into the house. Now that I am 50, I can do it with one hand *smile*.

I will take some pictures this week, both of the sketches (If I can find them) and the bits of frame I have gotten done, and get them posted. Another good way of creating the drums for this puppy would be to cut rings out of plywood, glue them up into a cylinder, and then sand them into "perfection" when the drum is mounted on the sander itself. That way, you don't need a lathe, and, by mounting a chunk of angle iron as a guide, can get a VERY good surface. My suggestion would be to cut solid disks, with a hole for the axle and set them about every foot through the cylinder. The rings could either be cut out as is, or built up out of segments. The latter way would allow a person to get a LOT of segments out of a single sheet of plywood. If you make the rings 12" in diameter and about 1.5" thick, split into four segments, I believe you could get most of the pieces you need for them out of one 4x8 sheet of plywood. At most...1 1/2 sheets would be enough for all the drum parts. Of course, a smaller drum would use less material... I hope the above is clearer than mud *smile*...

Knowledge is power, and I *do* believe in powersharing! Speaking of which...There was a guy on Ebay selling a

38" drum sander (for more than *I* could afford, alas) and he is apparently open to the idea of selling parts, so that might work out. Regards Dave Mundt
Reply to
Dave Mundt

Still remember for $10 or so weekly groceries last more than a week for a struggling freshman's whose only interests were works, study, Lawrence Welk, Mitch Miller, Walter Cronkite, Star Track and so on... that were the good old days sorely missed.

Will be watching for your posts (please don't rush). Been rethinking the whole project again. I am absolutely certain something will go wrong, ended up spending more and getting less. Yes, I saw that 30" drum you mentioned in Ebay on Friday night, too big for my need. I am exeemly reluction using wooden roller, I like someting more solid. I was in Amazon, again reconsidering Performax 22-44 22"- 44" (drum only) for $379.99 (free shipping).

What do you think if I install the Performax's drum sander upside down below with belt/pulley/motor in a roll away cabinet? On top a 1/4" cutaway section metal plate (chrome, if it's not too expensive) for my projects to slid it on top drum? If that works properly, I could improvise an adjustable pressure feed roller on top

you again, and I enjoy reading your posts plus the many helpful suggestions. I understand you perfectly and I only wish I could write half as good as you :-).

Reply to
BlueDude