DIY Drum Sander, Sourcing Roller

Page 1 of 2
I have been dreaming of owning a drum sander. However, the cost does not justify the return.
I have a fairly good idea how I'm going to make it, but the most important parts, the belt roller and pressure rollers are difficult to source. I need a roller approx. 16" to 24" long for the belt and an equal length rubber encases pressure/feed rollers. I could fabricate one, if I have a lathe machine.
I am wondering anyone knows such parts are available? I have search Google and there seem none available. Any other suggestion most welcome?
Thanks
Hmmm, I office machines in my other life. Copier pressure rollers would fit the bill for your feed rollers - I've seen them in diameters from 1" - 3", lengths to 24" on wide-format machines. Many are even geared for chain drive.
The other thing that just came to mind is typewriter platens. Old IBM's were 17.5" IIRC. (just the rubber part).

The drum roller is more important, pressure roller can be the add-on if I can find a suitable one. (Found this site for rubber rollers http://www.rubber-rolls.com /)
I have seen DIY using wood or pipe, but would prefer a metal roller. I wish I have a metal lathe. A good used Logan or similar lathe would cost about $1,400, adding tooling will exceed 3K. Might as well buy a 16/32 drum sanders and save me all the hassle.
I still believe someone out here in the past may have have attempted to make one or have knowledge of sourcing rollers.
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll be lurking and wait for more suggestions.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:22:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) wrote:

Short of some machine shop capabilities I cant offer any real suggestions to the delimma. Rollers of the type you need are hard to find and pretty expensive.
You may be able to save yourself a little tho. If I have the correct slant on what you want to do, you plan to use some kind of 'conveyor' belt to carry the stock under the drum, and pressure rollors on top to hold it down.
IME you dont need the pressure rollers. I don't know if the open-side drum rollers use them or not but even a large 50" Timesaver sander uses only the conveyor and no down pressure. The stock just feeds direct into the drum. (wide belt type)
My own sander is a manual feed with no pressure rollers. It works fine and the only (minor) problem is varying depth of cut if I dont get the speed just right. This can be evened out with multiple passes at the same depth.
I just finished gathering all the parts (rollers, sprockets, chain, gearmotor (DC, variable speed) to add a power feed. In my case the table will remain flat and well waxed, and the feed rollers will bear on the top of the stock. I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who fabricated the rollers from 2" (actually 1.9") pipe, I found the polyurethane cover at McMaster-Carr (approx $50 for a five foot length).
Offered in the hope that something here will benefit you.
LP
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:22:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) wrote:

You could buy a bar of cold-rolled 1018 steel and jut cut it to length with a bandsaw. Cold-rolled is important here, though- hot-rolled needs to be turned to be truly straight, but cold-rolled should be ready to go. If you're really pressed, it could even be cut with a hacksaw- though I wouldn't envy anyone that chore!

Have you looked at taking apart a couple of those little outfeed rollers?

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:33:14 -0500, Prometheus

Have spent a greater part of my life in and running a machine shop I could easily handle most machine tools, multi spindles, CNC including balancing machine, I would prefer to turn the rollers myself from a hollow bar. Buying rollers off the shelve would reduce the problem of vibration.

Outfeed rollers cannot mechanize the feed.
Thanks

You can get the parts list for a Grizzly on-line and buy what you want. However, I looked at this approach and found I would only save about $400; not worth the effort to build it at that saving.
Len -----------
BlueDude wrote:

That was part of my plan, as you said it would be far better to buy a new one. Thanks

Long shot, but have you tried printing supply houses? They may have, or give you a source on old machinery parts

I saw a homebuilt sander on "In the Workshop" with John Sillaots (Canadian). Here is a link to one company that sells the plans and parts to built it.
http://www.stockroomsupply.com/VSander.asp
You can also do a Google search for "V Drum Sander" and Paul Moore, he is the guy who built the first one.
Good Luck and post your results!
--
Phil Davis
247PalmBeachRE.com

Gee's, I keep telling my wife if she doesn't use her tred mill for exercise, I"m going to change the running belt to sand paper and make a belt sander out of it. It has variable speed, and electronic pitch adjust, and can take several hundred pounds of pressure. Top speed I think is about ten miles an hour. Man what a sander that would make. On the other hand, I could find a used one, and save the alimony. But all kidding aside, there would be enough parts there for a DRUM sander, might be an alternative to starting from scratch.

Really good one. If you modify it to a belt sander, you might have to sleep in the garage :-)
Everyweek, I look for hand and power tools in estate sales. 90% of the time I come across wheelchairs and treadmills, I will now add threadmill to my list of items to buy. Thanks.

On 20 Oct 2004 08:14:49 -0700, too_many snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Too_Many_Tools) wrote:
I was at a Church rummage sales today, came across two monster treadmills, immediately gave up this option. Maybe I should go back and take a second look?
Thanks

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:54:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) wrote:

I'm not familar enough with the machines to know exactly which roller is which, but have you considered using rubber wheels instead of rollers? I've seen wheels used as feeders before, and they seem to work all right, provided they are lined up correctly.

    Greetings and salutations....
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:54:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) wrote:

    Great minds think alike, I suppose. I am just finishing welding up the frame for a 36" double drum sander, and, with any luck, later this week will get the metal to build the support table.     now...as for the drum...I would suggest the simplest thing to do is get an appropriate length of 6" diameter TUBING (not pipe), and, a couple of 6" squares of 1/2" steel. Then, find someone local who OWNS a metal working lathe, and, pay them a few bucks to machine the ends of the tube square, and, to machine a couple of hubs that fit tightly into the ends of the tube. Have him cut a couple of 1" holes for the axle too, while he is at it.     Ebay is a good source for pillow blocks to hold the axles for not too much cash.     Regards     Dave Mundt
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:18:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@esper.com (Dave Mundt) wrote:
Greeting Dave -:)

I feel embarrass by your kind words, but necessity and budget constrain rather great mind force me to DIY.
I'm very interested in your WIP, can you post it in abpw? In would be easier to locate a machine shop, than to finding someone OWNS a lathe here.
Thanks, you are very helpful and I appreciate it.

    Greetings and salutations...     Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... the past few days have been a tad too complicated for me...hardware problems at a big client, and scheduling difficulties.
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:47:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) wrote:

    Yea...I can relate to that, too. It is kind of scary how easy it is to get rid of a big chunk of cash on almost anything these days. For example..I am getting stronger as I age. When I was 18, I had to make three trips to carry $100 worth of groceries into the house. Now that I am 50, I can do it with one hand *smile*.

    I will take some pictures this week, both of the sketches (If I can find them) and the bits of frame I have gotten done, and get them posted.     Another good way of creating the drums for this puppy would be to cut rings out of plywood, glue them up into a cylinder, and then sand them into "perfection" when the drum is mounted on the sander itself. That way, you don't need a lathe, and, by mounting a chunk of angle iron as a guide, can get a VERY good surface.     My suggestion would be to cut solid disks, with a hole for the axle and set them about every foot through the cylinder. The rings could either be cut out as is, or built up out of segments. The latter way would allow a person to get a LOT of segments out of a single sheet of plywood. If you make the rings 12" in diameter and about 1.5" thick, split into four segments, I believe you could get most of the pieces you need for them out of one 4x8 sheet of plywood. At most...1 1/2 sheets would be enough for all the drum parts. Of course, a smaller drum would use less material...     I hope the above is clearer than mud *smile*...

    Knowledge is power, and I *do* believe in powersharing!     Speaking of which...There was a guy on Ebay selling a 38" drum sander (for more than *I* could afford, alas) and he is apparently open to the idea of selling parts, so that might work out.     Regards     Dave Mundt

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 06:29:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@esper.com (Dave Mundt) wrote:

Still remember for $10 or so weekly groceries last more than a week for a struggling freshman's whose only interests were works, study, Lawrence Welk, Mitch Miller, Walter Cronkite, Star Track and so on... that were the good old days sorely missed.

Will be watching for your posts (please don't rush). Been rethinking the whole project again. I am absolutely certain something will go wrong, ended up spending more and getting less. Yes, I saw that 30" drum you mentioned in Ebay on Friday night, too big for my need. I am exeemly reluction using wooden roller, I like someting more solid. I was in Amazon, again reconsidering Performax 22-44 22"- 44" (drum only) for $379.99 (free shipping).
What do you think if I install the Performax's drum sander upside down below with belt/pulley/motor in a roll away cabinet? On top a 1/4" cutaway section metal plate (chrome, if it's not too expensive) for my projects to slid it on top drum? If that works properly, I could improvise an adjustable pressure feed roller on top
(Amazon.com product link shortened)98637324/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/104-0965482-8479963?v=glance&s=hi
Thank you again, and I enjoy reading your posts plus the many helpful suggestions. I understand you perfectly and I only wish I could write half as good as you :-).