DIY Drum Sander, Sourcing Roller

Hmmm, I office machines in my other life. Copier pressure rollers would fit the bill for your feed rollers - I've seen them in diameters from 1" - 3", lengths to 24" on wide-format machines. Many are even geared for chain drive.

The other thing that just came to mind is typewriter platens. Old IBM's were

17.5" IIRC. (just the rubber part).
Reply to
gw

Dang it, That was supposed to be: I *repair* office machines.

Reply to
gw

I have been dreaming of owning a drum sander. However, the cost does not justify the return.

I have a fairly good idea how I'm going to make it, but the most important parts, the belt roller and pressure rollers are difficult to source. I need a roller approx. 16" to 24" long for the belt and an equal length rubber encases pressure/feed rollers. I could fabricate one, if I have a lathe machine.

I am wondering anyone knows such parts are available? I have search Google and there seem none available. Any other suggestion most welcome?

Thanks

Reply to
BlueDude

You can get the parts list for a Grizzly on-line and buy what you want. However, I looked at this approach and found I would only save about $400; not worth the effort to build it at that saving.

Len

-----------

BlueDude wrote:

Reply to
Leonard Lopez

Short of some machine shop capabilities I cant offer any real suggestions to the delimma. Rollers of the type you need are hard to find and pretty expensive.

You may be able to save yourself a little tho. If I have the correct slant on what you want to do, you plan to use some kind of 'conveyor' belt to carry the stock under the drum, and pressure rollors on top to hold it down.

IME you dont need the pressure rollers. I don't know if the open-side drum rollers use them or not but even a large 50" Timesaver sander uses only the conveyor and no down pressure. The stock just feeds direct into the drum. (wide belt type)

My own sander is a manual feed with no pressure rollers. It works fine and the only (minor) problem is varying depth of cut if I dont get the speed just right. This can be evened out with multiple passes at the same depth.

I just finished gathering all the parts (rollers, sprockets, chain, gearmotor (DC, variable speed) to add a power feed. In my case the table will remain flat and well waxed, and the feed rollers will bear on the top of the stock. I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who fabricated the rollers from 2" (actually 1.9") pipe, I found the polyurethane cover at McMaster-Carr (approx $50 for a five foot length).

Offered in the hope that something here will benefit you.

LP

Reply to
LP

Long shot, but have you tried printing supply houses? They may have, or give you a source on old machinery parts

Reply to
ks

That was part of my plan, as you said it would be far better to buy a new one. Thanks

Reply to
BlueDude

The drum roller is more important, pressure roller can be the add-on if I can find a suitable one. (Found this site for rubber rollers

I have seen DIY using wood or pipe, but would prefer a metal roller. I wish I have a metal lathe. A good used Logan or similar lathe would cost about $1,400, adding tooling will exceed 3K. Might as well buy a

16/32 drum sanders and save me all the hassle.

I still believe someone out here in the past may have have attempted to make one or have knowledge of sourcing rollers.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll be lurking and wait for more suggestions.

Reply to
BlueDude

I saw a homebuilt sander on "In the Workshop" with John Sillaots (Canadian). Here is a link to one company that sells the plans and parts to built it.

can also do a Google search for "V Drum Sander" and Paul Moore, he is the guy who built the first one.

Good Luck and post your results!

Reply to
Phil

Your link below is better than what I expected. I knew someone here might be able to gimme a lead. Two nights ago, I was looking longingly at Kingspor's 2002 No.54 catalog a simple 1/3HP, 18" portable drum sander priced at $499 (in 2002). I believe I could fabricate one for less, provided I could find ROLLERS.

Before I embark on this project, I would like to figure a way to include a feed roller (above the drum, if I can find one) and that might take a while. I will try to post it in abpw if I ever complete it (possibly before spring).

Thanks, I appreciate it very much and I sure others will feel the same

Reply to
BlueDude

Reply to
Nirodac Yar

I'm not familar enough with the machines to know exactly which roller is which, but have you considered using rubber wheels instead of rollers? I've seen wheels used as feeders before, and they seem to work all right, provided they are lined up correctly.

Reply to
Prometheus

You could buy a bar of cold-rolled 1018 steel and jut cut it to length with a bandsaw. Cold-rolled is important here, though- hot-rolled needs to be turned to be truly straight, but cold-rolled should be ready to go. If you're really pressed, it could even be cut with a hacksaw- though I wouldn't envy anyone that chore!

Have you looked at taking apart a couple of those little outfeed rollers?

Reply to
Prometheus

Great minds think alike, I suppose. I am just finishing welding up the frame for a 36" double drum sander, and, with any luck, later this week will get the metal to build the support table. now...as for the drum...I would suggest the simplest thing to do is get an appropriate length of 6" diameter TUBING (not pipe), and, a couple of 6" squares of 1/2" steel. Then, find someone local who OWNS a metal working lathe, and, pay them a few bucks to machine the ends of the tube square, and, to machine a couple of hubs that fit tightly into the ends of the tube. Have him cut a couple of 1" holes for the axle too, while he is at it. Ebay is a good source for pillow blocks to hold the axles for not too much cash. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Really good one. If you modify it to a belt sander, you might have to sleep in the garage :-)

Everyweek, I look for hand and power tools in estate sales.

90% of the time I come across wheelchairs and treadmills, I will now add threadmill to my list of items to buy. Thanks.

Reply to
BlueDude

Aluminum (mayber even PVC?) bicycle rollers might do the trick. Here's a kit of three:

are some less expensive aluminum and pvc kits (near bottom of page):
you could find a used set of rollers, you might be in business.

Reply to
Mike Reed

of the old bookmarks. I'm not sure the link still works, but it may help.

Hope it helps,

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

Have spent a greater part of my life in and running a machine shop I could easily handle most machine tools, multi spindles, CNC including balancing machine, I would prefer to turn the rollers myself from a hollow bar. Buying rollers off the shelve would reduce the problem of vibration.

Outfeed rollers cannot mechanize the feed.

Thanks

Reply to
BlueDude

I was at a Church rummage sales today, came across two monster treadmills, immediately gave up this option. Maybe I should go back and take a second look?

Thanks

Reply to
BlueDude

Greeting Dave -:)

I feel embarrass by your kind words, but necessity and budget constrain rather great mind force me to DIY.

I'm very interested in your WIP, can you post it in abpw? In would be easier to locate a machine shop, than to finding someone OWNS a lathe here.

Thanks, you are very helpful and I appreciate it.

Reply to
BlueDude