Disturbing Trend

Page 2 of 3

Certainly you don't believe that Delta, Jet or pick your favorite brand of product which is also manufactured in China is paying those factory workers more to build their products. Cheap labor is cheap labor and you can bet the Chinese who are making what we consider to be good brands aren't making average American wages simply because of the logo on the product.

Yup. It's always been that way and it always will be. There has always been a low end market and there are people out there who are quite thankful that they don't have to pay high prices for equipment that they don't need. Maybe you or I wouldn't buy most of it, but that does not mean it doesn't have a place in the scheme of things.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Actually, some of the Chiwanese factories are computerized and automated, while some of them are dinky little hand-operated shops.
I suspect the bigger names are buying enough to contract the automated places, so the workers *may* be in better conditions.
In any case, I suspect that the average quality of the name-brand tools is higher than the no-name ones, if only because they're spending more money monitoring the Chiwanese factories.
According to some of the FWW articles I've read, the guys running the factories will produce as cheaply as they can , so if the importers don't stay on top of them quality suffers. The factory owners don't seem to have much pride in the quality of the product--money seems to be everything, and corners will be cut whenever they think they can get away with it.
Chris
Adopting the American attitude, are they?

No Mike I am not that naive. I just wish Delta would produce a domestic line that was top quality and somewhere close in price. Its not impossible. I do however, buy domestic when ever I can. Lie-Nielson is an execption.
Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

Why not buy Lie-Nielsen? I've had great luck with them, and I've found their price/quality ratio to be within the range. (Painful, yes, but in the range!)

Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

You mean Lee Valley? ;-) Lie-Nielsen is out of Maine. (Which, having lived there for a short while, can be confused for Canada quite easily...)

some reason I thought it was Canadian. Phew - I feel better now~ My new LN chisel plane is sitting on my workbench - still in its box - time to break it out and see how well it works!
Dave
<snip>

They work at least as well as any other chisel plane. And they look GREAT, too!
I have one. It's a really nice decoration, 99% of the time.
Not the only tool I rarely use...
Patriarch

Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

Lie Nielsen is in Maine, which is in the US, albeit barely. <G>

Sorry Dave - I did not intend a tone that suggested naivety. Likewise - I would as well. I consistently pay a small premium just to buy locally, so I would equally pay something of a premium to buy domestic production as well.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Dave
Think so? I drove my 76 F250 for seventeen years. Think my 2004 Ranger will last that long? Not likely.

On Mon, 15 May 2006 22:04:50 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Try that with a Ford. There's a reason they're Found On Road Dead.

I don't know, back when I was younger, I bought my great-grandmother's '67 Caddy Sedan de Ville with over 140k on it and drove the heck out of it for a while and it ran well over 200k before I got rid of it. Not bad for a car I spent $150 on, huh?

Ayup. Bought an '84 LeSabre in '91 with 54K on it. Still running fine when I sold it ten years later with 210K.
Bought an '86 Suburban in '95 at 64K. Still running fine nine years later at 187K ... when some SOB stole it.
Bought another '86 Suburban a few months later. It'll hit 200K sometime next month. Seems like you just can't kill a Chevy V-8.

Or, "Fix Or Repair Daily".
But FIATs are even worse. Fix It Again Today. Fix It Again Tomorrow.
--
Regards,
On Tue, 16 May 2006 17:46:11 GMT, Brian Henderson

Got a 1987 Ford F150 with 165,000 miles on it.
Been tuned once.
It spent most of the last two and a half years driving a three hundred mile a week commute on the PA Turnpike.
Semi-retired it in November of last year when I bought a Honda Civic to do the commuting.
Old truck started blowing white smoke and idled hard during a run for a camping trip.
Put KW Block Sealer(poor mans gasket fix) in it and it has done four camping/fishing trips since then - no white smoke - no rough idle.
4.9L Ford block. Limited Slip Differential ( the poor mans four wheel drive)
Been an excellent road companion for enough years that the truck is almost old enough to vote.
I will leave you with this message from the Gospel:
"Jesus was a Chevy man - that's why he walked everywhere."
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

Yeah, yeah, yeah. And of course you do know what the towing package is on a new Ford right?
... A Chevy!
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Thu, 18 May 2006 07:50:08 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

I don't own a new Ford.
But I did own a 1974 Chevy C-10 that would have run forever if the body panels hadn't rusted all to shit in three years.
That straight six was a runner - but the metal of the body sucked.
That's how I became a Ford man.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
As mentioned in another reply to this thread, cast iron ain't what it used to be. A while back I got a new 8" jointer from Sunhill and the fence was twisted a little. I could live with the slight bow but the twist made it useless for edge jointing. So they sent me another fence. The new fence had a slightly different color and while that was a little annoying it wasn't enough to make me return it for another. I just painted it black. But when I went to install it I noticed that the casting was a little different. The webbing was deeper and the main bolt hole in the center of the fence was in the wrong place to line up with the fence tilting mechanism. I decided that instead of returning it I would just redrill the hole. It was about 9/16" and I was wondering how it would drill in my drill press. I lined it up and turned the chuck and bit by hand to make sure it was aligned properly. I couldn't believe when just turning the bit by hand started metal curls peeling up from the fence. The bit wasn't new or exceptionally sharp but the metal was so soft I could've drilled this hole with a brace and bit! I didn't even bother using the drill lube I had on hand and the hole was cut like it was hardwood. The counter sink went just as easily.
I asked a friend of mine who owns an automotive machine shop about this and he said that most of the cast iron on cheaper car engines and many tools is made from scrap metal that's just thrown together and it's not seasoned like it used to be. He said a lot of engines he machines cut just as easily. And it's not just the Chiawanese stuff either so the people who slam the import stuff are doing so without knowing the whole story. Sure, there may be other quality control issues involved but most of the cast iron is worse than it used to be.
Are there any major tools, (TS, DP, jointer, etc.) that are anywhere close to being affordable that are still made in the USA? For me, Canada and Chiawan are about the same politically or any other way when it comes to tool purchases and supporting USA companies. All of the major power tools I own are made overseas and when I bought them there was nothing that I found that was made in the USA that was an option. The last tool I bought was the Smart Miter made in the good ol' USA by Jointech. It's the worst tool I've ever bought combined with the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Just unbelieveable! Close to $300 down the drain. For that looong ugly story look here: http://groups.google.com/group/Jointechwoodworking/browse_thread/thread/0493ae1dba64fe55
So what can ya do? Suck it up and get used to hit-and-miss quality. While my experience with the Sunhill jointer contained numerous screw ups and quality control issues, (others I didn't mention) at least they paid a bundle of money in shipping each way for a new jointer and then the defective fence and they threw in a bunch of free stuff to keep me happy. Hard to overlook the quality control issues though...
Bruce