DISSTON makes/made tool steel stock?

Picked up a piece of steel at a garage sa;e that's 1 1/8" wide by 12" long by 3/16ths inch thick with the following on one face:

DISSTON (scales logo) DISSTEEL (scales logo) Stays Sharp Longer REG. U.S. Patent Off MADE IN U.S.A.

I'd like to use some of this stuff to make a few specialized chisels for dovetail work. Any steel tool makers out there with info on this stock? Annealing color? Temper color? Quench in water or oil?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Most of the industrial tool supplies such as Enco, KBC, McMaster Carr all sell tool steel in many grades. You can actually pick not only the grade of steel, but whether you want air water or oil hardening. They have sizes perfect for chisels and plane iron with no cutting needed. It is also very cheap. I made a set or deep mortising chisels about 10 years ago. I bought some 1/2 inch stock 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 wide. The hole lot costs under $20 and I had enough steel for 9 chisels. max

Reply to
max

Which exact steel was that?

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

if you're going to make your own chisels, O-1 is about the easiest to start working with (that's "O" as in "oil hardening"). Read the rec.knives steel FAQ for more information.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

As compared to "W" as in "water hardening"? I KNEW that, Andy. I asked MAX what steel HE bought.

And just you make one thing clear to yourself,

I do my 'homework' as a learner, with and including my own diagnosed psychiatric problems.

So therefore, YOU need not reply to 'my questions to someone else' with your 'arrogance' after ignoring my friendly replies to you. And in your own terms...

SOD OFF!!!

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

I can't remember which one. I remember at the time I read each steels description and chose accordingly. I think I used A or D but it was a long time ago. max

Reply to
max

You can also get drill rod for making chisels. I have a milling machine so hollowing it out was easy. You might be better off rolling flat stock actually. Never mind max

Reply to
max