Dissatisfied with Lee Valley order

I agree...and I don't always agree with Charlie

My archives only go back a coupla weeks...but that's the only post I've seen from this Hoyt guy.
Hope ya'll have a nice week...
Trent

Yes, Hoyt did act inappropriately (as we ALL HAVE on occasion) and as soon as he realized it he properly apologized. That should have been the end of it, but no, Charlie thought it prudent to inject a caustic comment anyway. That's what I take issue with. When someone admits to a mistake or tries to correct one, you don't kick him just for the hell of it. It's punishing and ultimately very petty. Hoyt punished himself just by admitting online that he'd made the mistake. Charlie has made more contributions to this newsgroup than most, but that doesn't make him perfect and doesn't protect him from criticism.
As far as Lee Valley Tools go, Hoyt said he needed something badly, they didn't deliver, and so he wouldn't be ordering from them again. I don't think that's going to hurt the company very much. The calibre of service that Lee Valley Tools offers can easily weather the infrequent type of comment that Hoyt left. That was evidenced by the dozens of positive responses in this thread.

He apologized to Lee Vally Tools and then shifted the blame to FedEx. So what? That important part is that the apologized, and maybe, JUST MAYBE the fault was the responsibility of FedEx. Were you there Charlie to examine his front porch every day? Either way, it doesn't matter. You just had to get your dig in there.

again, not

And your point is? This whole thread between you and me is my taking exception to your comment when someone was trying to apologize, (no matter how poorly you think he was doing that). Again, in case you missed it Charlie, it makes you petty and not up to your usual high quality standards.
Upscale responds:

Sigh.
No. It makes me not living up to YOUR standards. Sorry about that. Or not.
Charlie Self
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson

not.
:) Point taken.

Gee, silly me. I thought apologizing meant taking responsibility for something that you'd previous given to someone else. He shifted so I think he's still +1 on the blame side. When he apologizes without making another blame then I'd say he's even, not until.

So a "just maybe" is enough to blame them?

I'm not Charlie but I think the guy already said the stuff was there within a week and he didn't know it. As has been said before, you'd think he's make some effort (call LV, get a tracking number, check the porch!) if it was such a vital order for him.

I'll let Charlie handle this one.
Dennis Vogel
said before, you'd think he's make some effort (call LV,

Check the porch? What a brilliant suggestion, Dennis. And what exactly was he doing all that time to avoid looking at the porch? Perhaps he was climbing in the basement window to get into his home because he hates having anything to do with porches?
If you'd bothered to read some of the other messages here, you'd have seen comments from people about delivery aberrations in every sense of the word. Delivery and how something is delivered and where it is delivered to is completely up to the whims of the delivery person. And of course, just like Charlie, you're much too perfect to make any type of mistake. Shove it up your ass Dennis!!!!!!
said before, you'd think he's make some effort

was
having
I don't know. You tell *me* what he was doing? You seem to know everything.

word.
like
Ah, now I see your problem. You assume too much. I've read every message on this topic because I find it so fascinating how people can avoid personal responsibility. They can make all kinds of rationalizations to avoid taking any blame. It looks to me like Hoyt is the one you should be hurling your epithets at. He placed his now-famous order and expected *everyone* to read his mind and tell him when it would arrive. *He's* the one who comes off as trying to be perfect here.
So delivery people people don't always ring the bell and wait for you to answer or leave copious notes about where they put the package. Ever think it might be because they get reamed out regularly by people like you-know-who about delayed deliveries because they *didn't* leave packages on the porch? I didn't think so. It's yet one more reason he should have been on the lookout for this vitally important delivery and not relying on everyone else to make it happen. If you can't afford to screw it up do it yourself.
Simple. And I don't have to resort to crude comments about your anatomy to get my point across.
Dennis Vogel

Right! You don't know. Apparently though, your lack of knowledge doesn't stop you from jumping in and criticising him for not looking on the porch. That's why you're an ass Dennis.

I assume too much? Is that like assuming that he never looked on his porch? Could you still be assuming that the porch was never crossed in a week's time? That what makes you an ass Dennis.
If you don't like my being crude about you being an ass, then don't be one.

exactly
porch?
one.
OK, you win. With such cogent logic as that how can I argue? You're a genius, Upscale. Thanks for all you contributions here. Man, I wish I could be like you.
Dennis Vogel
Now, children!! act civilized, even if you really aren't!
Upscale wrote:

LOL!!!
I uhhh....uhhhhh..... oh never mind.... <g!>
Rob

<snipped>
Upscale responds:

I would, except that he apologized and then said it was all FedEx's fault.
Sheest.
Charlie Self
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson

should
As I said Charlie. You're perfect. It's categorically *impossible* for you to make a mistake like that or of any type. Must be nice (and damned boring) to be you, being perfect *all* the time. Can I come and worship at your feet and learn how to be bored like you too? Please? Pretty please? :)
Upscale blathers:

I don't recall stating a thing about either perfection or being bored, two categories I've never even aspired to.
But, then, I don't use a handle like "Upscale" to hide my real name while attempting, and failing, sarcasm.
Charlie Self
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson

Hoyt -- good to see your apology. Many folks aren't big enough to do that.
And you're right, FedEx *does* falsify delivery signatures, at least some of the time. I had an example recently; a package worth several hundred dollars was left in the driveway. The tracking information shows that it was signed for by "F. Rontdoor" !!
http://tinyurl.com/nepl

I hope they don't do this with "signature required" shipments.
The thing that really irritated me, though, was that I was home at the time. The guy didn't even bother to ring the doorbell.

time.
Ok - you got me there... That's pretty damned lazy. Or maybe the delivery person is one helluva' Introvert and just can't bring him/herself to ring the bell. :)
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:54:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

The world is changing...get used to it!
You got the PACKAGE, didn't ya? Maybe he didn't have time to talk about the wife and kids.
My mail gets delivered every day...and sometimes includes important stuff. The mailperson never rings the doorbell.
USPS delivers by putting the package on the porch near the mail box. They also never ring the bell.
FedEx just drops the package off...unless the sender requires a signature.
Same with UPS. But the UPS driver always toots his horn as he drives up to my place. He knows that if I'm in, I'll come out and sign for him.
The purpose of package delivery is package delivery. If its workin'...its workin'.
Hope ya'll have a nice week...
Trent
The advantages of living in a small village. The UPS and FedEx drivers flag me down if I'm passing them on the road and they have a package. If not they just put it in the house (never need to lock the doors) and when a package shows up at the Post Office they call to let me know it's there.
And...I'm only a day away from Lee Valley!!!!!
Phil