Dissapointed with my Tru-Grip tool guide/clamp

Tried my new Tru-Grip tool guide (24") last night and was somewhat dissapointed. The reason beeing a sideways slop of between 1/32-1/16" on the far end (the moveable jaw) when it is clamped down. I can move the alu guide sideways while the plastic jaw is stuck to the board.

Has anybody else experienced this or have I just had bad luck in receiving a 'below average' product?

My 2' Tru-Grip Pro FT'R feels very solid though...

JES

Reply to
JES

Doesn't sound like you have the moveable side "tight" to the edge prior to clamping.

You are pressing the clamping lever "all the way down" and not just to the first position ? The lever is pointing toward the floor when correctly postioned.

I showed a guy that one time who had a clamp for several years. He was VERY surprised at how tight it got.

JES wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Mine is rock solid, do make sure that the movable bit is pushed up snug while the lever is in the up position, then when the lever goes horizontal it should grip tightly and when you push it a bit further to the down position it should get even tighter.

Reply to
damian penney

Yes, I have it clamped as hard as possible, it's not the clamping part that is moving (the black plastic). It's the alu rail that's moving sideways. It's like it's too big for the plastic clamping part. Not usable for precision work... :-(

JES

Reply to
JES

Interesting, I'd take it back, sounds like a duff

Reply to
damian penney

You are not alone. I'm not sure that mine, purchased maybe 8 year ago, is a "tru-grip" but it exhibits the same behavior. The track of the aluminum part is 3/64ths wider than the black plastic clamping end. It does not look like a defect at all. It looks like a piss poor design.

The only marking I found was "Taiwan" on the metal cam lever

I'm not sure why I have kept it all this time. It's just sloppy enough to be truly useless.

If you can figure out a mod to close that gap, I'm all ears.

-Steve

Reply to
C&S

Kind of hard to do since I live in Europe (bought it on a business trip to the US...). Well, I'll try to get creative and find a way to modify it perhaps...

JES

Reply to
JES

Reply to
damian penney

If you say it's faulty, which it is, shipping is paid by Amazon...

JES wrote:

Reply to
damian penney

As long as you are being honest, tell them that the faulty one you are shipping back is not the one you bought from them.

Reply to
CW