Disposing of used finishing liquids

I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with a cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing environmental problems?
And, sorry for the mispost in alt.binaries.pictures,woodworking.
Ken Nuzum wrote:

Use a tight sealing container such as an old paint can, a half full paint can that you need to dispose of, or any solvent proof jug (I use plastic detergent bottles with the spout cut out) and put your material in there.
You city should have a hazardous waste station somewhere to get rid of it properly and responsibly and keep it out of the city dump.
Robert
I usually combine them into a couple of old plastic five gallon jug that I keep outside, away from the house. When they are full, I take them to the local waste disposal site. I a previous, more rural, life I drizzled the contents along the base of my chain link fence. Good weed control. Probably not good for the environment.
RonB

Take care, sometimes chemicals can combine in unexpected ways to make new things, not all benevolent.
Steve
--
www.sellcom.com for firewood splitters, ergonomic chairs,
office phone systems, "non-mov" surge protection, Exabyte,

body shop or paint supplier, most will be happy to combine it with thier stuff.
Dave
Ken Nuzum wrote:

Fire starter. We burn tons of tree trash every year and it works great. So does the used motor oil.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

You certainly don't live in California! Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

get burn permits from the city, valid within a certain time frame. There are a host of regulations (wind speed and the like) to which you must agree when you get the permit.
Glen
Flush it down the toilet like everyone else. :)

"CW"
The horror! The horror! The horror!
;~)
Dave

I leave 'em outside to evaporate into the air and then throw the solid waste that's left (if any) into the ordinary garbage.
-Don
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

:>I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and :>spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with a :>cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing :>environmental problems? : I leave 'em outside to evaporate into the air and then throw the solid : waste that's left (if any) into the ordinary garbage.
That's what Michael Dresdner recommends (he's a finishing guru).
    -- Andy Barss

You could check with your local environmental authority and see if they have any kind of pickup or drop off available. Lots of communities have a once or twice a year "household hazardous waste" pickup day.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Volume is an issue, so for example with mineral spirits, I have a mason jar with lid and I let the solids settle out to the bottom, and pour off the clear into another jar and reuse it; the solids I put in another can and dispose at the haz mat cleanup day the town has. I used to take the solids and pour over oily rags and burn in an old paint can but my SWMBO put an end to that.
Ken Nuzum wrote:

Ken Nuzum wrote:

The solvents generally do not need to be disposed of - they are volatile and will evaporate. Once the finish is dry, is can be discarded in your normal manner - i.e. liquid paint is a hazardous material, dried paint is not. The solvents used for cleaning brushes can be reused. Pour the dirty solvents into a container and let it sit for awhile, the solids will settle to the bottom and the clear solvents can be reused (for cleaning purposes). After awhile, when the container starts to fill up, pour off the as much of the solvent as you can, let the solid gunk dry out and throw it away, then start the whole process over again.
Just don't try to mix up those different solvents...
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email