Disposing of pressure treated wood

Page 3 of 3

Prometheus wrote:

The adsorbtivity of soil is not unlimited. So there is a difference between using landscaping timbers and burying a pile of scraps. Leach rate is also strongly dependent on surface area so that sawdust and chips will leach at a rate that is several orders of magnitude higher than a 2 x 4. There is no guarantee that the soil itself is going to stay put either.
The other issue is that by not traveling far, the soil near the wood stays contaminated indefinately. Consider the adhomition about growing root vegetables in close proximinity to CCA treated wood. After the property has changed hands a few times, how is anybody going to remember where the treated wood used to be?
Also Woods scraps buried in a landfill are not buried in soil, they are buried in garbage which loaded with a pethora of other chemicals that compete with eh arsenic and chromium ions for sites on those soil particles.

1.5 keep them until he finds somewhere that does accept them.
1.75 Make something else out of them.

The material in question is HIS property. Dealing with it is HIS responsibility.

Mine doesn't dicker with me over what I am allowed to put in my garbage either. Tires, and used motor oil are handled by the people who sell them. It becomes part of their cost of doing business.

No it doesn't. The farmer is certianly responsiblity for how he uses his pesticides, just like you are for the pesticides you use. Ditto for wood scraps. The difference between trace trace contaminants that aren''t even listed on the label of the product you buy, and the product itself, is obvious.
I have absolutely no sympahty for people who refuse to read the labels on the products they buy. I have considerable sympathy for people who cannot read the fine print.

You don't have to, that information is on the label of pretty much every product sold. That's part of why I pay taxes, to suport public schools to teach you how to read. As an aside, the number of questions about products that are asked in this newsgroup and can be answered by reading the label is truly appalling.
Damn near everthign bought today includes disposal instructions, usually where they can be read before opening the package. If you aren't willing to follow them, don't buy the product.

Fine, so long as YOU properly label everything you put in your garbage. After all, it was properly labeled when you bought it, right?

I'm quite sure that you have the option to hold on to it for a few months while looking for a solution.