Disposing of pressure treated wood

Page 1 of 3

How do you dispose of left over PT wood when the town won't take it?
"Charlie" <greatviewcsc at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

Cut it into 24 - 30" lengths. Bundle into manageable sized bundles. When the next town over has trash collection, you go out the night before and leave it by the curb at a vacant house. With people starting to vacation, should be easy to spot. .
Charlie wrote:

Ooops! This stuff is the next asbestos, arsenic, copper and chromic all into one neat bundle. You cannot dump it, leaches into water table, cannot burn, arsenic will eventually fall, maybe into your garden. This has been used for over 100 years now, there are multi million lawsuits in the offing. There are expensive treatments to treat the stuff but they are rare and it seems from the other reply that it will be left for our children to deal with.
Gimme a break. So long as you don't chew on it, or use it instead of cedar for cooking your salmon on, I highly doubt it's as dangerous as you make it out to be. The fact that there's millions of dollars in lawsuits coming up means nothing besides you live in a litigious society.
Clint

Get a freaking life tree hugger!!!
says...

Gotta better for suggestions for the tree huggers -- the next time you fill you gas tank, save on gasoline - stuff a tree hugger in the tank! That way, we can drill where we know oil is and get rid of tree huggers at the same time -- damned bunch of hypocrites that use hydrocarbons, etc. but still gripe and cause trouble.

AMEN BROTHER!!!
Charlie wrote:

Build some planter boxes or benches? Landscape edging? Pitch in with some neighbors and rent a dumpster? Fireplace? Cut it smaller and get black trash bags? Hermetically seal and store it until a cure can be found? If it is the new stuff, bury it and it will rot in a few years.
"Charlie" <greatviewcsc at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

Cut it up into small pieces and burn it.
It wont kill anyone.
Locutus wrote:

I cannot believe that a group of woodworkers would be so offhand about something they apparently know nothing about. Do not take my word , look at http://www.bancca.org /

Ok, instead I will take the word of a site called "Ban CCA". I am sure they are quite unbiased.

Again, get a life!!!! It's fucken wood!!!
david wrote:

Not a group. Just one. DAGS "troll".
--

FF

Locutus wrote:

Locutus, you're kidding, I hope. CCA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromated_copper_arsenate ACQ: http://www.ufpi.com/product/ptlumber/handuse.htm

I'm from the country, we burn everything. ;)

Pretty much the same here. We also stand upwind of the smoke.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"Charlie" <greatviewcsc at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

Have no idea where you are located but each state and local gov't usually has instructions on how to safely dispose of treated lumber (CCA)
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dshm/sldwaste/cca.html
Do a search for your locale and you should find who to contact.
Bob S.
"Charlie" <greatviewcsc at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

In California,
http://www.green.ca.gov/EPP/Furnisher/TrWood.htm#laws
LAWS AND GUIDELINES California Statute California law [Chapter 597, Statutes of 2004 (Matthews, AB 1353)] requires treated wood waste to be disposed of in either a class I hazardous waste landfill or in a composite-lined portion of a solid waste landfill unit that meets specified requirements. All variances granted by the Department of Toxic Substances Control before January 1, 2005 governing the management of treated wood waste are inoperative and have no further effect.
Ya gotta love California!
Dave

What is it about California that makes its population have such a low tollerance to disease??? "~)

The Ninth Curcuit Court decreed it so.