Disk sander/adhesive sandpaper question

How do I make it stick?! The assembly instructions say to clean off the disk first, but the disk looks spotless. Both the included 12" disk and the k(l)ingsp(l)or disk have real low-tack adhesive. It won't stick to the metal disk. Am I doing something wrong here? Are they all like this and I need to pick up a can of spray adhesive? What's the deal?
brian

I reinforce with 3M 77 spray. It appears compatible with the stickum on the paper. You do have to exercise a great deal of car in alignment or risk messing up the stickiness when moving the paper. Might be your problem, and one that seems easier to beat with the thicker adhesive.
Hi Brian, The disks I use (no-name chinese ones) need two hand to peel them off the metal disk. I believe Leon mentioned staying away from adhesive Klingspore products. JG
brianlanning wrote:

brianlanning wrote:

Get a bottle of Franklin Disk Adhesive. Sears usually has it.
--
dadiOH
____________________________
brianlanning wrote:

G'day Brian, I know that this doesn't answer your question But what I've done is purchase velcro kits on all my disks. The disks are a little more expensive but you have no problems replacing them. Another upside is that you can change and replace disks whenever you like. This will probably actualy save a few bob if you need to have differing grits for various jobs. Regards John

That's the plan. But I haven't been able to find one yet.
brian
A piece of metal may look clean and not be. Wipe it down with solvent. Be careful about what you use to glue the disk on. After it has been used a while, it will stick very tightly and could be extremely difficult to remove. As for the Velcro, it may work for you depending on what you want. The problem can be that it causes a bit of give. This is fine for surface sanding but if you are doing edges, it may be enough to prevent you from getting a crisp edge.

If you are saying that you have a Kingspor PSA disk, I would advise not using it. And use a better brand. I have a roll of Kingspor PSA sand paper and a box of their disks that are a bear to remove from any of my sanders. Their sand paper is good but 3M and PC make much better PSA paper.
With that in mind, if the paper will not stick at all I have no suggestion. Typically PSA paper is not real sticky but its bond becomes greater as it warms up from use. You disk may have a very light film of oil on it. I would wipe it down with Acetone and reapply the paper at room temperature. If the disk is cold it could be part of the problem.

It came right from robin lee. I've also seen a lot of posts claiming to like the klingsplor stuff, especially for drum sanders.
It was a bit cold, but not too bad, maybe 50 degrees. Could be a thin coat of oil also, but again I doubt it. The disk adhesive is *really* low tack. I'll try the spray adhesive.
brian

Robin Lee did not manufacture the paper. The Kingspor sand paper is good, its their PSA paper that is bad when it comes to sticking like PSA paper should. I like the PSA for hand sanding and using a block of wood that I can throw away when the sand paper wears out.

Warm the disk and paper up with a heated hair blow dryer.

I know. I'm just sort of surprised if it's not so good. He seems to carry the good stuff.
I think you're right about the adhesive. I bet it's trying to achieve a balance between stickiness and removeablility. And the balance gets upset when it's too cold.
brian

yeah... I was going to pipe in with the temperature thing, thanks, Leon...
I use the 12" aluminum disk on the shopsmith and I've found that if I use self-adheasive disks I have to warm up the disk with the heat gun first if the temperature is lower than about 60 degrees or so.. Mac https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm