Dishwater Motor

Page 3 of 4

My next project is your drill press' twin. ;-) The CFO approves, so in a couple of weeks...
I'm still working on my shop in the garage attic. At the rate I'm going it'll be another year (I'll miss this insulation season). :-(

It may not be the motor. Check for clogging in the water lines, and the spray arms.

I believe in repairing things if not too costly. Bought new a Whirlpool washer in 1961 and a Whirlpool dryer in 1967. Did minor repairs on both and in 1997 gave them both to a son. He is still using them. He has replaced the pump and belt. Think how much it would have cost if we replaced those items when ever they had a problem. Also the newer Chinese crap won't last half as long. WW

If he bought it 8 years ago, it was already 'Chinese crap'. The newer Chinese stuff is actually better.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Got a Maytag washer and dryer in 1979 that replaced the ones that the movers mangled. Since then I've replaced a belt, a couple of hoses, a timer, and a fan. And they still work as well as they ever did. I don't see any point in replacing them.

I have actually worked on dishwashers and with a similar problem. It could also be the water pump making that noise, it basically run when the motor runs.
A dish washer is not terribly hard to work on if you pull it out and tip it over so you can get to the bottom where the motor is. I replace our first dishwasher water pump/and motor with it setting in place under the counter. Silly me.
My sister bought a KitchenAid and it did not last as long as yours, 15 years ago. My wife and I bought a KitchenAid about 5 years ago and returned it to Sears shortly after purchase, it was a $1000+ unit and it did not clean.
Prior to getting the Kitchen Aid we had a Lady Kenmore, manufactured by Whirlpool. It still ran great after 14 years however the baskets were beginning to rust and stain the dishes. Both baskets replacement cost was around $400 and we decided to put that into a new unit.
After returning the KitchenAid we went back to the Kenmore Elite built by Whirlpool. We are the type of people that don't wash the dishes before putting them into the dishwasher. We remove bones and seeds.
We just bought a new home and traded the unused GE dishwasher for a Whirlpool Gold series. We are very pleased with the unit and expect at least 14 years of use. I still prefer the Kenmore version of the Whirlpool, it has larger utensil baskets. Sears would not take a trade in.
On 2/7/2011 8:29 AM, Leon wrote:

Thank you for your detailed review. This will help me when I look at them (Sears has a 15% off sale Sunday evening...).
Bill
?

Kitchen Aid is also made by Whirlpool. I'm on my third KA in 45 years. #1 was still working when we moved, #2 was good for over 20 years, #3 is still humming along perfectly. Considering how well they wash dishes, I'd not consider another brand. Yours evidently had a defect of some sort.

Sadly whirlpool is not the same old whirlpool. "past experience is no predictor of future behaviour"
Leon wrote:

We bought a Bosch in 2000. It lasted two years before the plastic parts in the door disintegrated. Replaced it with a Maytag and so far so good.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

Funny, when I was looking at dishwashers online the other day, I ruled out the Bosch one, despite it's high ratings, because I had never heard of Bosch mentioned in the context of dishwashers before. Of course, I have never frequented such conversations. The verdict is still out here. We still have a working, albeit loud, machine (which probably needs a new water inlet (solenoid) valve)...
Bill
I currently have a Bosch, it's so quite I have opened it up during a run cycle. I forgot to look for the red light on the floor.
It has been a great dishwasher.
I think the only unit still made in America is Hotpoint. Most everything else is outside the US.
Funny how each company makes a dishwasher for the other companies. Seems like they manage it on production line, not manufacturer.
On 2/8/2011 6:45 PM, Bill wrote:

Bosch is a very well known brand. We didn't go that way because they don't use a food grinder so you have to clean the strainer/filter. Yuck. We bought an Electrolux instead. It's almost silent. So far (two years) we're extremely happy with it. We've slowly been replacing the contractor specials with Electrolux appliances (microwave Sunday and the range, perhaps in the Spring, will finish the project off).
?

My local appliance dealer will sell you one if you insist, but says they have a very high call back rate for warranty repairs. Good when they work, but too often they don't.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I can get at least 2 or 3 just for the price of a visit from my local Sears store ($129)...and they'd probably install the same kind.
Bill

Interesting tidbit - when we were buying appliances 3 years ago, whirlpool washer was made in Germany (as well as some models in Mexico) and the only fully AMERICAN built machine was --- you guessed it - the BOSCH.
On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 22:53:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The only? Electrolux is US made, as well.
?

Electrolux bought Frigidaire that was a part of the Edison Electric and White Consolidated Industries group. They have plants in many countries but I long ago lost track of what is made where. Many large appliances were made in the US though. They moved air conditioners to Mexico at one point and they were built with compressors from China. They also build a half dozen brands at each plant.

No doubt Electrolux has plants all over the world, but it is a Swedish company and globally is ranked as the 2nd largest appliance manufacturer.

Bill,
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It was a 2 year old one. The warranty on labor was over; the warranty on parts was still in effect. The story was that I could call their representative to come and diagnose the probelm($65). The he would order the parts (free) and come to install them ($65). So much for the warranty! For $130 I had to look.
I found the problem. The seal between the impeller and the motor had leaked - destroying the bearing on the motor. I had the bearing replaced for $70 and replaced the impeller ($20). But, now I can do it myself the next time! By the way, the motor and impeller were made in - u guessed it - China.
Len