Dishwater Motor

From newbe homeowner. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher, 8 years old. The motor has started whining alot. It can be easily heard from across the house.

Looks like the replacement cost for the motor is about $170 and replacement cost for the same model dishwasher is about $550.

Which is smarter in general, fix or replace?

To say on topic, I clean some of my woodworking tools in the dishwasher ; )

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Hard to tell without seeing the general condition of the unit, but replacement at that age is generally not a bad move considering the cost, and probably increased efficiency, of a new one.

Reply to
Swingman

You do what?!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Thank you. Bill

Reply to
Bill

You may have a wood chip in the impeller. Some dis-assembly and inspection may be in order.

Reply to
Steve Barker

--------------------------------

8 years old tips the balance, time to replace.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The machine should last another 8 years with a repair. Unless you have other issues, fix it. Be sure it is the motor and not some other component making the noise, such as pump or bearing someplace.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll try to double-check. The fact that the unit still basically operates suggested to me that the problem was probably a bad bearing. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that this would mean it would be necessary to replace the motor.

I owe it to my wallet to remove a few parts and take a closer look (If I can't locate a diagram online). If I don't find bearings I can replace, I'll replace the unit. For those that would be concerned, I'll turn the power off at the breaker.

Thank you, Bill

Reply to
Bill
.

Bill

There is lots of information online. Also the pump and associated parts frequently include a garbage disposal. Gtet a manual at your friendly appliance parts store. Also I am sure manuals are available from Kitchenaid.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Just for fun, I just took off the "lower spray arm" hoping to find a bearing nearby (hint: it's not lefty-tighty, righty-lucy"). I just realized the problem is not likely to be there since:

Problem sound only occurs when that arm is spinning (with water) and the vibrations seems to be dominant in the left front (user's POV), but I could be off by a few inches. Will do my homework...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

That leads me away from the motor. Try running it with the arm removed and see if it is still making noise.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I should have added "bottom left front" (behind the lower access port). I watched a video that made the motor replacement look like quite the chore. They removed the dishwasher and turned it on it's back... Maybe it's more fun than it looks? -lol

Bill

Reply to
Bill

----------------------------- Live & Learn.

After all you're not dealing with the Maytag man here.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not sure what you mean--but I think your earlier suggestion to replace the darned thing seems like a reasonable suggestion, even a learned one.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill, this is somewhat off topic, but I'm thinking you must be single!

Reply to
Larry W

Keep using it while watching CraigsList. I often see dishwashers for free. Pick up one or two as spares for the day when yours finally croaks.

Reply to
HeyBub

Then you'd have to store it somewhere, perhaps for years. You only have to extrapolate that a few years to wind up with a collection of spares that will effectively crowd out all your scrap lumber [with which you were going to build something useful an d unique as soon as you get around to it]. Then where would you be?

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

How about finding a good appliance repairman? Even a $250 repair bill would be the better bargain if the unit is good for another eight years.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

As said else where in this thread check all of the belts, idler arms etc. before giving up on the machine. If it turns out to definitely be the motor I would replace the unit. After 8 years there are probably spot that are nearly rusted through and a many other things that are about to let go. If you are the one to tell your wife "lets go get a new dish washer" you will look like a hero.

We had a washing machine that after replacing every part in it, I decided to replace it, but since I had fixed it so many times my wife insisted that I look at it. It turned out to be a $2 resistor.

Reply to
knuttle

Another consideration should be whether or not the mfgr switched to a Chiwanese factory between then and now, and if that change affects (or completely does away with) the quality and longevity of the product.

I hadn't done enough research on my washer/dryer, so when I bought the "Made by Maytag" Magic Chef units, the washer motor blew within the first month and the dryer bearings were innately defective, an engineering problem which was not correctable.

-- Doubt 'til thou canst doubt no more...doubt is thought and thought is life. Systems which end doubt are devices for drugging thought. -- Albert Guerard

Reply to
Larry Jaques