Discussion: Describe your shop!

Page 1 of 4
Hey guys..it's time we get back on track with some good old woodworking talk. Tell us what you have in your shop. Power tools..hand tools..wood stock..shop dog..etc.
What do you want to add to your shop?
What collects the most dust?
On average, how many hours a week do you spend in the shop?

I didn't think I had that much in my gar^H^H^H, errr shop until I was adding up everything to get ready for a proper arranging. As far as stationary (or at least quasi-stationary) tools go, I have a 10" Delta contractor's saw, a 13" Delta planer, a Delta DJ-20 jointer, a floor-standing Delta drill press, a 14" Jet bandsaw, a HF mortiser, a Bosch 10" SCMS, and a Jet dust collector. Add to that a couple of routers, biscuit jointer, ECE smoothing plane, chisels, Kreg jig, etc.

About 400 square feet.

The dust collector.

I'd guess about 5 or 6. That's going to go up soon as I'm committed to building a table for a friend in the next several weeks.
todd
Art Finkelstein wrote:

wood
snip
too few. SWMBO is getting worried she encouraged me to spend too much on tools that aren't getting much use. When summer comes, I spend my time doing other things. I don't want to be cooped up in my shop.
dave

A Jet 10" contractor's saw, Dremel 1671 and 1680 scroll saws, Hitachi miter saw, Tradesman 8" drill press, Craftsman 6" bench grinder, and added in the last 2 days, Grizzly 14" bandsaw, Grizzly 12.5" planer, and a Craftsman 4" belt, 6" disc sander. As far as hand tools, a couple of routers, couple of planes, and the usual suspects. As for wood stockI have Oak (red and white), Cherry, lots of Pine and Aspen, Poplar, Finnish birch ply, and various odds and ends. I also have several dozen board feet of 125 yr. old maple tongue and groove that I'm waiting for the right project for.

A jointer and a mortiser. Right now, the biggest dust collector is the bench grinder. I spend somewhere around 20 hours a week in the workshop (mostly scrolling).
The thing that surprises me (being relatively new to having a real workshop) about all of this is that virtually every power tool I own gets used on just about every project.
Kevin Daly http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/page1.html
Now that I know What you have and about when you're in your shop, I'll do an online search to find out where you live (using your email properties) and have someone drop by to clean out, errr, clean up your goodies!!

Art Finkelstein wrote:

It's more of a 9'x7' closet in the corner of a basement than a proper shop. 63 spacious square feet! I've ended up with more stuff that will fit or can be used in that space, so the drill press, bandsaw, and planer are out in the main basement area right next to the washer and dryer. Someday, I'll put the DP in the shop and move the bench grinder into the main basement area.
Luckily (or unluckily - depending on your POV), I don't have a SWMBO, so I can get sawdust all over the clean laundry without catching an earful. Then again, maybe I'd get a SWMBO if my clothes weren't always covered in sawdust <G>.
Here are pretty much all my tools, in rough order from most to least used:
-Pencil -Starret Square Rule (Buy once, cry once) -Late 60s Craftsman floorstanding drill press -Late 60s B&D 7 1/2" RAS -15" Grizzly Bandsaw -PC 7518 router in a homemade table -13" Rigid Planer -Mitutoyo Dial Calipers -A heart-shaped chunk of 8/4 walnut about 5" in diameter cut from the inside of a heart-shaped box that I use for a mallet. -Rulers and Straightedges -Knight Jointer, Knight Smoother, Knight Jack -Chisels -Tape Measure -PC 690 router with fixed and plunge bases (694VK) -Bench Grinder mounted on a steel stand my Dad made for me. -Scroll Saw -Skil Saw -Broom and Dustpan -Delta 37-070 benchtop jointer
For woodstock, I have a handful of cherry, highly figured curly maple (fiddleback?), ash, and generic mahogany. Under the workbench, there is a big box full of small exotic scraps (cocobolo, rosewood, bloodwood, purpleheart, ebony, etc) that are real nice to use for little things like handles, inlays, and accents. Lastly there is two trees worth of air dried black walnut in various thicknesses from 4/4 to 16/4 that I got for free. Beep beep!

A tablesaw would be great, but there is absolutely no room. In lieu of that, a disk/belt sander (useful) or a Leigh Dovetail jig (fun) would be nice.

That Delta jointer. I'd rather use a grapefruit spoon to flatten and square lumber.

In the summer, when I have an enjoyable project in the works, around 20. In the winter here in Minnesota, it is much too cold to spend any length of time in the unheated basement.
-Rick
Hi Art, I've been pretty lucky in life so my shops are full. I have a shop in my produce processing building for doing roughing out. I have another one in a building that is 26' X 34' that I use for finishing. Sanding, assembly and etc. All total, 21 machines. I'm able to write them off because I do R&D for several large hobby companies. I enjoy every single minute spent in them. I especially enjoy building jigs. Building outdoor furniture is sorta fun also. But, none of the above comes without a price. My wife and I work 10-12 hours per day, seven days per week. We wouldn't trade it for nothing. The scent of wood being sawn, routed, sanded or whatever, makes it all worth while. So does the end object. Thanks for the thought provoking post. I sometimes tend to forget how lucky I am to have a decent place to play with my machines and relax. Every now and then, I catch myself sometimes just holding up a piece of wood and looking at it. It seems a bit awesome as to what was created by a seed. Thanks again for the post.
PS..I also collect antique woodworking tools. That, is a real pleasure.

On Sun, 16 May 2004 04:22:17 -0700, Rick Nelson

Can I add my little personal paraphrasing in amongst your wonderful descriptions? Ta! I'm using a front verandah -- L shaped about 6' x 30' (covered) and an attached flat space 12' x 20' which is only partially covered and tools must be moved undercover when rain threatens.

I haved had a SWMBO for 40 years and she is tolerant and placid, but those occasional looks of mild disapproval of something, are devastating.

I'm only going to deal with my "big" tools. As I go in for cheap, rough-sawn, wet jarrah (rare and expensive these days) and store it for years in various covered places which are also full of valuable "stuff" (read "junk"), I must have heavyish machinery to get it into usable "wood". I have an 8" jointer with a 5'+ bed. I have a 12" thicknesser which I have given Hell to, in the past, but I have a set of carbide knives for it which should improve it's performance when I get the balls to install them. I have a BigBoy 6" belt sander which I love. It gives me the most bang for any buck I have spent. I have a Triton table saw/router table which is a bit fiddly, but really quite good for the money. A big Makita router and and a 9.25" Hitachi saw. I have an aftermarket speed controller for my Makita router, and I have removed the handles to fit in the Triton. I tried once to use it without handles with the speed controller, and it was a lovely tame pussy-cat. No dramas whatsoever. Hang on tight, but it is just so easy to control. I was scared spitless before I tried this, but was very pleasantly surprised. I've got a very varied collection of router bits which I'm in the process of making one display case for all of them out of a nice plastic tray from the fridge (see, ain't SWMBO's grand? :) I've got a beaut little aluminium trimmer which I've actually not used yet, but the ownership gives me pleasure :)

I've got, amongst much salvage bits and pieces of old jarrah, over 100 pieces of air dried jarrah (over 5 years) of 1.5" x 8" x 8' to 10'. Some of these blow the fork out of yer dungarees when you plane them and see the grain in them. Oh, I've also got several tons of fence pickets in new jarrah. Rough they are 3/4" x 4" x 7'. They are about the last you might get I believe. The bloke who loaded them for me was staggered that I'd gotten so much furniture grade jarrah for the price of third grade fence pickets. I departed as gracefully as I could in my 1000cc Datsun towing twice its weight of trailer.

Not much really, except a few more square feet of roof :)

Who cares? I love patting them all, or spraying CRC over them or even painting them forrest green with my epoxy rust resistant paint.

A jointer is essential for rough lumber and the longer the bed, the better.

Midsummer is to hot, and mid winter is too cold/wet. I wish I could spend a lot more but the less you spend, the more piquant are the hours that are spent, well that's my rationalisation.

cheap chisels, homebuilt wood lathe, cheap lathe chisels etc.

Have fun y'all. Joe
Here is a list of tool, pretty much in the sequence I bought them. My shop in in an oversized one car garage. I had a cheap Craftsman saw and router that have been given away. Total value is $7063.
As for time in the shop, maybe an hour or two in a couple of evenings, five or six on a good weekend. None in the very cold months.
Drill Press, Delta 10"
Router, Dewalt 621Plunge
Saw, Delta 10" 36-431 w/30" Biesemeyer fence Accu Miter 24" Jet 14" Band saw JWBS-14CS Dewalt biskit joiner Chisel set, 4 pc. Marples Freud 10" blade 80T Heater, Reddy propane 30k Btu Tanks, 20# propane (2) Sander, Ridgid Oscillating belt Cut off hand saw, Stanley Drill bits, Assorted PC brad nailer & compressor Jesada Router Bits Vice for Drill press Clamps, 12" Quick grip Clamps, Bessey 24" (2) Clamps, Bessey K 31" Ruler, Centering Ruler, 6" Combination square 7" Scraper Burnishing Tool Sander, PC Random Orbit Back Saw, Crown tools Compass Marking knife Stanley #92 infill plane Norton Sharpening Stones Smoothing Plane Veritas sharpening guide Fence Caddy Delta Planer 22-580 Marking gauge Jet Dust Collector DC-1100 Dust collector fitting for Planer Router table Router table casters Ryobi cordless drill and circular saw Freud 10" blade Router bits Timberwolf Re-saw blades (bandsaw) Router, Bosch 1617EVS Circle cutting Fixture Long Ranger switch DeWalt Compound Miter Saw DeWalt R O S Bench Dog drawers Bench Dog Pro Lift AL Woodhaven Shelf Pin Jig Vix bit for above Bostitch staple gun Quick Crank Delta Mortising Machine Delta Tenoning Fixture Ridge Carbide 10" Combo blade Ridge Carbide Dado blade 8" Magnetic Featherboard Clamps, 24" Bessey K Clamps, 36" Bessey F Clamps, 12" Bessey deep throat Block Plane, low angle Lee Valley
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

router, Craftsman miter saw and several small hand tools.

most of because 1/2 is filled with the boat I am building. Being a military family, we move every 2-3 years so I never know what space I'll be working with next. I am also undecided if I should get a DC system, a planer, a jointer or a high-quality hand plane next.

yet.

A few, when I am not out at sea.
Wr, Tim
--
Tim Rohrer
snipped-for-privacy@metbymail.com
Wayne K. wrote:

The best part is, none of them are gay.
Oops! We may have just made this one (this thread) jump the tracks.
Sorry Art.
UA100
To get back on track.. My little slice of paradise is 11X24. Half of my basement. Delta contractor saw Delta Joiner Delta Drill press Delta 18" wide drum sander Dewalt 12 inch SCMS Ridgid 13 inch thickness planer Dust collector (jet clone) Porter cable Router & table built by and donated by Dad. Old Craftsman 9" table saw with sanding disk always mounted Old Craftsman lathe- (surprised to see Ridged lathe just like it) Misc. Hand power tools Makita, Portercable, Milwaukee etc. etc. Large work bench (one of my first projects) Various old cabinetry (slowly being replaced)
The dust collector does a great job with the sander, joiner, planer. Two cats not allowed in the shop ( they like the little piles of sawdust too much) Favorite tool? I don't play favorites with my tools, I thank them equally when I turn out the lights.

My Shop:
484 Sq/Ft, 95% dedicated to woodworking. 120 Sq/Ft shed, dedicated to everything else, yard care, camping, storage. T.S. Rockwell Unisaw 34-761 (ca '85), 3 HP, added Biesemeyer Commercial 30". D.P. Rockwell/Delta 11-280 (ca?), 32" radial, a benchtop on the original steel floor stand. B.S. Rockwell/Delta 28-280 (ca?), metal/wood cutting, 14" (need to add a riser) Belt Sander Rockwell 31-520 (ca '75), 6 x 48" Jointer, 6 x 48" Transpower (ca '88) Lathe 12 x 36" Walker Turner, no model number, but it's NOT their Driver Line D.C. Jet 1100 Hegner 14" scrollsaw Dewalt 733 Planer Tormek wet grinder Delta B.O.S.S. Shop Dog #1, Samantha, Yellow Lab Shop Dog #2, Buddy, Golden Retriever
Wanted: Drum sander (Performax), Lathe (Oneway)
I did not set out to collect old Rockwell Delta, but jumped on opportunities and the shop has a lot of old gray right now. Nice thread Art, thanks. -- Bill Pounds ( who's shop web site is badly out of date) http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop
Tell us what you have in your shop. Power tools..hand tools..wood

Unisaw, 1997 vintage, 3 hp, Mule Accusquare fence Walker-Turner 15" drill press, 1940's Bosch 3315 SCMS Delta 31-250 18" drum sander (FOR SALE) Delta Platinum 14" BS w/ riser Delta Homecraft 11" lathe (1940's) Walker-Turner Light-Heavyweight shaper w/ 1/2" and 3/4" spindles (1950's) Craftsman 24" scroll saw, 1940's Craftsman (Atlas) 10" benchtop tilting arbor saw, 1938 vintage Delta 4" disc/4x36 belt sander Porter-Cable pancake compressor and various P-C nailers old Shop-Vac Sprunger 6" jointer (1950's) Delta air cleaner Recently sold small 1HP dust collector and Delta 22-560 planer lots of handheld power tools, mostly Bosch lots of neanderthal tools, old Stanley planes, nothing collectible.
No shop dog, one shop cat who plays with sawdust.
Wood stock - at last estimate, 7500 board feet of pine, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 and some timbers 1700 board feet white ash, 4/4 and 5/4 1900 board feet cherry, 4/4 and 5/4 200 board feet soft maple 250 board feet hard maple 200 board feet butternut 300 board feet basswood, 6/4 250 board feet apple, 6/4, most 8"+ wide 800-1000 board feet mixed species, including purpleheart, bloodwood, goncalo alves, hickory, aromatic cedar, hackberry, canarywood, white oak, red oak, poplar, and black walnut.
Most of the first five are going to be incorporated into my new house as floors, cabinets and trim, so that'll all go away within six to eight months.

A Woodmaster 725 4-in-1 machine, and an Oneida cyclone. It will all go in the new shop. Existing shop is 11 x 22, new shop will be 20 x 32 with 10' ceilings and lumber loft space.

All of it, until I get the new shop built. That won't be until next summer, after my new house is built.

Right now, about 1. I'd like to be in there 10-20 hours, but no time.
Jon E
I have a walk-out basement shop with double-wide doors that open to a 6-foot opening. I'm lucky to have a large window where I use the natural light for sharpening tools. My shop is about 30 feet by 20 feet, concrete floor, drywalled with a large baseboard. I have 6 120v and one 240v circuits (3 outlets). I have a PM55, DJ-20, Delta bandsaw and drill press, Makita surface planer, Makita Japanese water stone sharpener, Cross cut station with compound Dewalt, shop-built router table, a variable-speed Conover lathe, and a Penn-State 1.5HP DC with remote. I have most hand tools. I want to add a quality low-angle block plane, quality chisels, 1/2" router bits, a mortising machine, several chair-making tools and better dust collection. I probably use my dovetail template the least, as I now really enjoy making handcut dovetails. I have three workbenches, the main one is 7 foot by 3 feet. I spend about 35 hours a week in my shop, sometimes more. I probably watch one hour of TV per week, but listen to radio in my shop. Woodworking is my salvation.
I can sum it up in one picture:
http://www.shavings.net/images/05_17_04-slab_garage.jpeg
(That's about as clean as it's ever going to be.....)
-- John G.
from the murky depths:

Grok that.
I noticed several things in that pic.
1) There are no shaves in the gar^H^H^Hshop yet. 2) The house is Delta/battleship/BFU gray. 3) The curb will be bumpy to get into your driveway. 4) There's no lawn to get in the way of your weekend fun.
G'luck in the new place. Where'd you settle, again?
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

5) The person that located your hot water heater must have been the same one that put mine as far away from where we use it as possible, without going outside. Joe

That would be me.

If it burts, it's going to cause minimal damage, unlike the flooded basement I endured up in NH.