Disc Sander Belt sander Combo selection

I am in the process of buying a disc sander belt sander combo. I found a new Wilton with a 10" disk and 6"X48" belt with a 1 hp motor with stand for $639. I think that is hard to beat but I would like a 12" disc and 1 1/2 hp., but a JET or Delta get $900+. The Grizzly and the Shop Fox are around $500 but I am very cautious about their quality. Any comments.

Thank You in advance

Reply to
rbell

12" is about the minimum you want on a disc sander. even then you only get about 3 useful inches out of it unless your working on small pieces. you want to make sure the disc is not spinning faster then 1750rpms. I have been happy with the three shopfox tools I own.
Reply to
Steve knight

Poor experience at the school with a Grizzly, but the Woodtek machines look to be about the same or less in price. As to quality control, difficult to say. I'm willing to bet that the QC guy wears a white coat and a JET badge on Thursday, green and Woodtek on Friday....

Reply to
George

This was the machine recommended by a wood rag review several years ago. I've been keeping it on my amazon wish list in case I ever have a serious need for one.

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Here's another one...

haven't seen or used it but I have a joiner from them and it is fine. Ditto with my Grizzly tools...I have no qualms about them.

Frankly, I am less than impressed with Jet. Seems to me they try to position themselves as a step up from the other imports simply by adding a few small bells and whistles to what is basically the same as other imported machines.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

others. Interesting. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

You might take a look at the Rikon sold by Woodcraft. I've got one and like it. Only a 10" disk, but adequate for my needs. Pretty good DC and plenty of "oomph".

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Banes

Amen.

Anything less than 12" dia is about as useless as breasts on a boar hog.

Been there.

BTW, IMHO, a good disc sander is just about the most useful tool I've got when you do things like boat joinery.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett