dirty finish nails

I bought a box of finish nails (from the BORG) last week to install some light-painted crown molding. The nails are labeled "bright" but are not shiny like they used to be. They are covered with grease or graphite or something that gives them a dull gray color. The nails are turning my fingers black and leaves marks on the molding/walls. I end up washing my hands with Lava soap and cleaning the walls/molding every two hours. Anyone know about this stuff? I believe it is a coating to prevent rust but I'm not sure. Finish nails used to be clean.

Not all nails are created equally. I see differences in name brand nails and house or generic brands and this is not limited to finish nails. I suspect that if you bought a house brand nail that the supplier may have changed.
Phisherman wrote:

Probably its similar to the yucky black stuff on black iron pipe, leftover lubricant from the manufacturing process.
You've probably seen the cement used on sinkers, it isn't that, is it.
--

FF

nails on a paper towel, poured on a little paint thinner. Rubbed with another towel. Cleaned them up fine.
Bob

quality and I can buy the quantity I want.

Thanks Bob. I rinsed 5 pounds of nails three times in paint thinner, dumped them into a bucket of sawdust, then retrieved the nails with a giant magnet. Now my finish nails and painted molding are clean. After 30 years of woodworking this is a first washing finishing nails. Learn something new everyday.
'Phish' . . .
Let me take a crack at this . . .
I use screws {typically Stainless & 'square drive'}rather then nails, however I still 'wander the aisle's at the local Blue & Orange 'Borg's ' . Whether it is there, or any of the great 'America Brand' stores, you can't help but notice that more & more items are 'Made in China'. {Sometimes you have to be a bit 'paranoid' and look at the fine print . . . but it's there}. It has always bothered me that so much simple, yet HEAVY, stuff could be so cheap . . . considering the cost of long distance shipping.
I order my 'square drive' screws McFeeley's. They are very 'up front' in their catalog descriptions . . . and where an item may come from. Also how they are prepped for shipment. Steel screws are a relatively 'simple' item . . . nails even more so. Yet they are inherently 'heavy'. 'Sea Shipment' - to paraphrase . . .the proverbial 'Slow boat *from* China' - is the most cost-efficient. One of the 'preps' is a coating to prevent rusting during the voyage. THAT may be what is on the 'dirty' nails. {No matter what brand name is on the box !!}
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

Ron, The nail I bought are indeed "Made in China" and I won't be buying any more of those. I need to put together an order from McFeeley's. Life is too short to be cleaning dirty fasteners! Clothes and shoes "Made in China" is fine but I'm staying away from metal items made from there from now on. Thanks.