Dip in Table Saw--Should I send it back?

Page 2 of 3

This may be a stupid question - but how do you measure a dip in the middle of the saw? I will be purchasing one in the next couple of months so when I get it what should I be measuring and with what and how?
Thanks
Place a good metal straight edge across the table diagonally. Then measure any gaps with feeler gauges.
Greg
Tip: Cut a kerf in a couple of blocks just wide enough to hold the straight edge vertical. Then put the blocks over the straight edge to hold it while you move around checking for gaps and measuring etc. A light behind the straight edge will help to show any gaps.
"Eric Scantlebury" wrote in message ...

Groggy wrote:

I have yet to see a good straight edge at the BORG. So if your thinking of buying one there forget it.
Look in grainger or online for Starrett, Lufkin, any others?
You should think of investing in a rule longer than one foot. A two foot rule cost more than twice a one foot rule, and if your going to buy a rule you might as well get a square head with it as a set. I would suggest a iron head Starrett 11H-24-4R (~ $90). If you were using the set in anything more abrasive than wood dust I would suggest getting a 33H-24-4R. The 33H is a forged steel head.
<http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/viewCatalogPDF.shtml?browserCompatable=true&adobeCompatable=true&CatPage16>
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

Straight edge and a set of feeler gauges.
straight edge and feeler gauge(s)
Dave
Eric Scantlebury wrote:

Eric Scantlebury wrote:

Don't feel too bad. I was wondering myself. I had a mental image of some sort of dial gauge.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com
Good straight edge and feeler gauge
John
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:08:04 -0500, "Eric Scantlebury"

i've read most of the replies and the posters seem to concentrate on the lack of precision you'll have, as well as what your financial situation is. :-)
personally, if i was running boards through a TS and they "get caught momentarily on the resulting ridge", i'd consider that a safety hazard and return the saw immediately. you are asking to lose a finger with a problem like that.
andy b.
On 8 Jan 2004 09:07:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Caveman Lawyer) wrote:

My guess is, if you complain loud enough to grizz they will send you a new table.
Montyhp
(Caveman

Not if they claim it's "in spec". I had a similar conversation with Delta, only the discrepancy on mine was much less, but since it was my first expensive TS, I thought I'd inquire.
dave
Montyhp wrote:

I guess I would have to look at their web page to see if they guarantee satisfaction. I wouldn't be satisfied.
Montyhp
(Caveman

You are right; if they "guarantee" satisfaction, then they'd have no way to refuse just because it's within their specs.
dave
Montyhp wrote:

But they may make him pay for the return shipping unless that is also included in the guarantee. If such a small .012 dip is killing him, then I agree with the idea of sending it back and pay twice the price for what is really next to nothing. I myself would either file it smooth or tap the wing into place with a hammer and get to making dust. I am looking into upgrading my contractors saw next month and it will probably be a Grizzly.

"Bay Area Dave" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
I would try to just exchange the table top. The shipping will still be somewhat expensive.
I only say this because (so far) my Grizz 1023SL is "perfect." so I know Grizzly can make a good saw.
Montyhp
(Caveman

Montyhp wrote:

Maybe Griz would be willing to surface grind it.
-- Mark

Do tell. Afterall, the published flatness tolerance for the Delta Unisaw is also 0.015".
Brian.

Unless I'm missing something here, how would a board get caught on the ridge when it would be running parallel to the direction the boards are pushed?
On 8 Jan 2004 09:07:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Caveman Lawyer) brought forth from the murky depths:

How long is the dip? 1"? 6"? A foot long? How wide?

Slap that telephone drone upside the haid, suh.

Take a picture and send it to Grizzly's QA manager with an explanation. If they don't respond, bondo (or lead) it in.
-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 05:16:06 GMT, Larry Jaques

They advertise "At Grizzly, You Can Expect Excellence! at <http://www.grizzly.com/index.cfm?>.
Having to bondo or lead in the top of a brand new saw is unacceptable. I would calmly and respectfully move up the chain until I was satisfied. If all else fails, I'd photograph the problems, write up ONLY the facts, with no subjective commentary, and place it on the web.
I would send the first link to Grizzly, and again give them a chance to fix it. Next, I'd start posting the link to every newsgroup, bbs, and chat area where it was on-topic.
Barry