Dip in Table Saw--Should I send it back?

Page 1 of 3
I recently received (from my wife, God bless her) a new Grizzly 1023S table saw. Expecting to spend some time with tune up, I've been disappointed to find a .012 dip in the middle right side of the table (but not the wings). Everything else measures flat within a few thou.
Consequently, the flat extension wing won't line up with the middle of the table top. Grizz support claims the dip is within factory tolerances (".015 corner-to-corner" I was told) and recommend that I flex the wings to accomodate the dip.
My question to those who would know better--should I quit being a baby and try to make it work or should I send this thing back and look elsewhere for a saw? I'm not a full-time ww nor am I making puzzle boxes, but it seems irritating and the few boards that I've run across the table get caught momentarily on the resulting ridge.
Thanks for your time.
Executive summary: send it back and don't buy another Grizz.
10 page thesis to follow.
Bob

I'd be unhappy with that much of a dip in the middle. I'd expect that to affect the accuracy of dado and molding operations.
dave
Caveman Lawyer wrote:

And how would that affect a dado cut?
-- Knowledge speaks, wisdom listen..... Jimi Hendrix

depth of cut would vary between the beginning and middle of a piece of material that you can't/don't shove down hard enough to reach the bottom of the dip. the leading edge would probably have a deeper cut as it would be relatively easy to get the leading edge to conform to the dip. Think of a soup bowl. you can put the end of a spoon down in the bowl, but you can't get the length of the spoon to rest on the bottom. this is an exaggeration, but applicable analogy. No?
dave
martin wrote:

Isnt it the whole point of buying a grizzly cabinet saw which is a lot cheaper then others but once tune its a wonderful machine.
-- Knowledge speaks, wisdom listen..... Jimi Hendrix

I am confused by your reply. Are you suggesting that the OP keep or return the saw?
Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point, WA
Send it back and get a PM66. You won't have these complaints.
On 8 Jan 2004 09:07:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Caveman Lawyer) wrote:

Or any money left to eat with.

"Phisherman" < snipped-for-privacy@noone.com> wrote in message
what makes you think that purchase will break his bank account?? Are you privvy to his personal data?
dave
Tbone wrote:

He's a lawyer - I hate him. No, wait he's a woodworker, he's a great guy. No - he's a lawyer, but a woodworking lawyer...
Arrrrg! I'm so confused! :)
well, then, a RICH woodworker!!
dave
mttt wrote:

I know plenty of lawyers, and even several doctors, who are far from rich. They've got a lot of competition, and some of them finish school with hundreds of thousands of debt.
One of the women I know, a Yale and Stanford educated psychiatrist, who finished school with over $235,000 of debt. <G>
Barry

Wow, that's nuts! :-)
On 9 Jan 2004 11:03:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

She's 45 and still paying. It was left in deferral for a while, so it probably got even bigger. <G>
Barry
And she's considered one of the smart Ivy League educated professionals? Sure hope those degrees help pay off that debt in time to retire!
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

wrote in (Larry Bud)

Funny isn't it. A doctor incurs hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt and it takes dozens of years to pay it off. My sister in law, a high school graduate, had 4 chicken houses put in their property at a cost of 2 million. She paid it off in 4 years.
Woodworker, getting there, Lawyer!!!! How dare you. Next you will be calling my mother names :-)

"mttt" < snipped-for-privacy@donotuse.com> wrote in message
Well, it is within spec., even though I don't think it will affect your work, especially at the hacker level. Will they take it back? Talk to Greg Leneave, Leneave Machinery, Charlotte, NC. I got a planer from him that was both good and cheap, about $300 less than Delta. He claims to do his own QC in Taiwan. His cabinet saw is right at $1K. He has a lot more to lose from bad stuff than Griz does, since it's a family outfit. Wilson

Does Leneave have a web site? Can't find one.