Dimensional question for Blanket Chest

I've found a design and plans for the chest I want to make. It's 47" long X 20" X 20". I have room for 37" long between the valets I made. Maybe without actually seeing the chest I want to make you can't say, but if I make it 37" long instead of 47" I'm wondering if it won't ruin the looks by not scaling back the heighth and width also. Not sure where else I can put the valets but that is an option, altho I would like to have the chest between them. Thanks again for any advice.
--
Paul
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Right. But 1.618 is NOT really the Golden Ratio, that is (sqrt(5)+1)/2 and a "very" irrational number.
You're right but 1.618 works for us laymen......;-)
Bob S.
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869

To keep the proportions the same, with a 37" width, the height/depth would be about 15-3/4".
(37*20)/47 = 15.74
As per the other response, a 37" wide to 20" high chest would be closer to the golden ratio (1.618 rounded off): 47/20 = 2.35 37/20 = 1.85
At the end of the day, go with what looks best to you if you are making something for yourself. Otherwise go with what the buyer (client/swmbo/hwmbo) wants.

--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

There is only one period and no underscores in the real email address.