Dimensional lumber question

I'm trying to buy some 2x2 for a small project. The only stuff I can find is warped to one degree or another or badly finished. Apparently 2x2 is only construction grade. I need some that is straight and fairly clean. It is for shelving, the 2x2 will be exposed structure. Any thoughts?

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Skip the home centers; all the 2x2s that any of them sell are crap. Find a real lumber yard, and ask for fir 2x2s (or get 2x4 or 2x6, and rip it).

Doug Miller

As Doug says, you will probably get more stable stock by buying 2X6's or

2x8's and ripping your own. Do your best to properly dried lumber.

If you still want dimensioned stock from a lumber yard, look for a good grade of Fir, which can usually be found in 2 X 2 stock ... I've used a ton of it for shelf supports and frames in the past. Just watch for the splinters.

Reply to
Swingman