Digital Sliding T-Bevel

Page 1 of 4
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,42936,50298&pi055
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

If it works as advertised, and there is no reason to think it won't, that will be one helluva handy go-to tool. Pocket size to boot.

As per discussion elsewhere in this thread, it could be construed as a bit gimmicky, but having said that, many things with digital read-out are gimmicky. Like the days of yore, FM Radio tuners with digital read- outs were "so much more accurate" than their sliding dial counterparts!! The read-out had absolutely nothing to do with the tuning itself, as is the case with so many measuring tools. I bought a measuring tape with a digital read-out (in a fit of spontaneity) a Starrett no less, and found myself reading the tape instead of the digital read-out. I tossed the damned thing when I wanted to replace the battery and discovered it was a proprietary $20.00 POS. (They, of course, changed to another battery shortly thereafter.) IMHO, 'digital' doesn't automatically mean 'better'.
But I digress.
(back to the fishing lure analogy... who/what are those lures designed to catch?)
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 09:01:17 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

I'm sure they do. I bought one of these and it works great. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43513&pd278 It saved me a lot of time in reproducing angles in a porch rail replacement I did last year. We changed the height to meet regs so I couldn't just copy the angles there.
(Hey, Swingy! Wanna trade? I like yours better.)
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
    --Wowzers that's got a gazillion uses; thanks for posting!
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Swingman wrote:

It can only be as accurate as the sensor at the sliding "arm" (sorry, I don't know the appropriate term). I momentarily considered this as a substitute for a magnetic level+bevel, but what I said above makes me hesitate. Perhaps someone can vouch for the technology being used? The issue is mainly academic for me, but it's not uninteresting.
Bill wrote:

Sorry to reply to my own post: What is given up in accuracy besides the "arm" is loose enough to slide? Until I here more, it's going to say in my "gimmick" category. : )
On 2/15/2012 12:12 PM, Bill wrote:

Yea I looked at that yesterday, and the thing that hit me was the accuracy of +-.3 degrees, but a resolution of .05 degrees. Seems odd that the accuracy is so much further off than the resolution. What good is .05 resolution if you can only have .3 accuracy. If the accuracy were .1 I would understand.
At that point I questioned it's legitimacy.
I am interested but after having lost my job yesterday, I'll wait for your opinions.
On 2/15/2012 11:22 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

As always, that depends entirely upon your use of the "gimmick" (and probably your imagination).
With a few of the things where I can envision its usefulness, like some machine setup situations, the fact that you can't set the machine to a greater accuracy than the accuracy of the instrument itself makes it a moot point.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

I'm all in favor a sliding t-bevel. I have found "creative" uses for mine (like measuring the squareness of the inside of a box". My curosity was about the added value of the digital guage. My dad, may he rest in peace, would likely have said "It looks like another gimmick!" : )
On 2/15/2012 6:53 PM, Bill wrote:

If it was also equipped with a laser, I would be inclined to agree.
But, it's not. :)
That said, for twenty bucks + shipping, I'll let you know in week or ten days.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/15/2012 12:22 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

I bought one of those Wixy magnetic angle things and they have an accuracy of .1 degrees. When I got it, I naturally checked my table saw, jointer and band saw. All 3 were within .1 degrees of perfect. I had no idea if the gauge or my fences was off, given they have a .1 degree of accuracy. I then noted that if a breathed hard on a fence it would change .1 degree, meaning .1 degree is more accurate than anyone needs for wood work.

I think it would be useful, and more accurate than my current angle bevel that I use infrequently. The price is good at 20 bucks and on Amazon, the same gauge is 30 bucks.
The only draw back I see is it must use batteries for a digital readout. That means when you go to use it, the batteries will be dead. My Wixy came with an extra battery, or was it my digital caliber? and I already replaced the battery once. Must have been the caliber, as I only used Wixy thing once. Also, every single electronic gimmick uses a different battery. Must be 200 million different styles of watch batteries, one for each different device.
On that subject, I bought a solar powered, credit card sized calculator in the 70's. It is my shop calculator and it has a battery because it works in no light. I never changed the battery, I don't think you can, but damn the thing works for going on 40 years.

That's my opinion and you only had to wait a few days:-)
--
Jack
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:15:04 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

and that's 31 years ago, It is NOT solar, and is still working. It's a Canon Palmtronic. Just checked and it says "uses 2 penlight batteries 1.5 volt" They must have been REAL GOOD batteries, because she has never changed them, and nor have I. (she wouldn't know how, and I know this is the first time it's been removed from it's case by me)
On 2/22/2012 5:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have a battery powered volt meter that does ohms, volts and all that rot. My BIL gave it to me around 1975 and it takes one AA battery, maybe two. I never changed the battery, it has a white paper label with no name on it. Still works perfectly. I thought both these items, my calc and this thing were some sort of freaky thing, but seems there was a lot of this going around in the 70's. I don't think this happens any more, am I wrong?
--
Jack

years ago. Most multi-testers have 9 volt batteries in them. I've changed a few in the last couple months that have been installed since the early '80s. One leaked a bit but did no damage, and one had actually outlasted the meter. Meter said "low battery" - put in a new one - still said "low battery". Checked the battery - fine. Threw out the tester.

The only thing you've got to keep an eye on is leaking batteries. An analog meter doesn't need the battery to measure anything but resistance, so naturally it'll last forever.
Modern batteries should be checked for leaks every so often (9Vs aren't too bad about it, but AAs are horrible).
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/23/2012 8:00 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I always thought batteries had a short shelf life whether used or not. Guess I was wrong. Another thing that lasted around 10 years or more was one of those little kids book that played a song when you opened it. This was the itsy bitsy spider book, and it was sitting in a bookcase for many years and when I opened the thing, it still worked. I'd guess 10 years at least.
--
Jack

life. The alkaline ones not so good, and the lithium somewhere in between.
On 2/15/2012 10:55 AM, Swingman wrote:

Hey, you're supposed to wait until I get mine ordered and delivered before you go telling everybody else and their mother about stuff like this.
On 2/15/2012 11:39 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

I can see occasions where it would be real handy, like when setting a miter saw for non-square corners, among other things, but, even though I really don't have that much need, the _price_ is what makes it attractive.
AAMOF, the thing I like the best is the knob doesn't get in the way of laying it flat for measuring ... just that feature in combination with the digital read-out in a t-bevel is worth the twenty bucks when you absolutely need it.
<for those who just can't help themselves repeating the obvious, yes, I am well that non-digital versions have that same feature for less cost>
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010