Digital Angle Gauge

Page 1 of 3
I picked up one of the digital angle gauges from Lee Valley last Thursday. It comes with rare earth magnets both sides and is solid and relatively heavy. It can be set to relative zero and fully recalibrated if for any reason that it loses it's settings. It runs on a 9v battery, so you wouldn't have to worry about being gouged for some expensive little watch type battery should you need a new one.
My only complaint is that the magnets don't hold as well as they could the closer you get to a vertical surface, but it's situation one is not likely to encounter very often.
LV also sells a non-digital compass type version of an angle gauge, but considering the cost difference is only $11, the digital one gets my preferred vote. Another toy to add to the pile. :)
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pW056&cat=1,240,41064

I have had a similar one of these for a year or so now, they are very handy for determining angles also. I use mine for much more than setting up my equipment. I spect your magnets would hold on to vertical surfaces better if the unit used a "watch battery" instead of a heavy 9 volt battery. ;~)
But then the magnets don't do squat on wood surfaces. LOL
Upscale wrote:

I've got the Wixley that I picked up on sale for $24.00 at Woodcraft. The magnets hold well even when vertical.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID 7281&FamilyIDX94
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

OK, I looked at the Lee Valley link again. I noticed that the gauge is supposed to have "Rare Earth' magnets. You may have a defective unit, it should be very resistant to slipping or falling. I'd give LeeValley a call and have it exchanged.
Slipping is a problem if you use it to return your TS blade back to a 90 degree setting.

call
As you've mentioned (and Sheldon), it's possible the canopy pole I quickly tested it on was partially a non-magnetic alloy of some type. That was the only place I tried it because at the time, there wasn't anything else close by. I'll test it on a more reliably metal ferrous object and let you know what I find out.

Try a refrigerator. ;-)
wrote in message

Try a refrigerator. ;-)
Perhaps not a stainless steel cased one.

Lee valley also sells a strap-on level for posts - not metal, but you could rig something it also works well
shelly
Upscale wrote:

Is it the magnets are weak or the saw blade not very magnetic?
MikeB
"Upscale" wrote:

Personally, I'm not a believer in layouts using angle measurements.
There is simply too much chance for error.
Rather use trigonometry and layout the line lengths using a compass and intersecting arcs.
Then use a router /w/ a bearing and a straight edge to clean up the lines.
I use 1/2 (9 ply) for these angle guides which is also handy if you need to do the setup again in the future.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

So tell us how you use that technique to set your table saw blade for a bevel cut.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Make a gauge block first, then set to it.
Basic 101.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Uh huh. Right. Never actually tried that, have you?
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Yes
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

And how'd it work out for you?
"J. Clarke" wrote:

It worked as designed.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Care to post your design somewhere?
"J. Clarke" wrote:

What part of a 9 ply Birch triangle would you like me to post?
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The dimensions for openers, and a photograph of it in use.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Sounds like you need to go back and taking drafting 101 or is it CAD 101 these days?
In either case, take a hike.
Lew