different saws

SWMBO asked for a xmas gift list and i am thinking about putting down reciprocating saw.... looking to spend about $100-125.... i jotted down dewalt, rigid, and porter cable.... any one have any expereince with any of them ? i have used the dewalt before while helping working on my son's car.... OT... an '87 Monte Carlo SS 305 rebored to be a 350 with a super charger....550 to 650 HP....goes like a bat out of hell......back on topic....... used it to cut the exhaust system.... what would be the better choice ??????

Reply to
WARRENRN1

I have the Porter Cable tiger saw. Variable speed, quick change blade. Works great.

Reply to
Bob Gramza

My choice would be either the Milwaukee Sawzall or the DeWalt DW309K. I have the DeWalt, my neighbor has the Milwaukee. We used both during a rebuild of a porch. The DeWalt cuts faster due to the 1.25" stroke verses the .75" stroke of the Milwaukee. Sometimes the longer stroke works better, sometimes it's a disadvantage.

Nova

ridgid's are guaranteed for life now. It's worth a shot. I have the DeWalt and it suits me just fine.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

I have the Milwaulkee SawzAll and it works great for demolition work. The "Super Sawzall" has more power and larger in size. Both are very well built. I expect it to last a lifetime.

Reply to
Phisherman

warrenrn1 asks:

Just to make your job easier, also consider Bosch and Milwaukee, both excellent.

Charlie Self

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Charlie Self

One thing to consider in a reciprocating saw is how it's built, not just how powerful or easy to use it is.

I have a recent PC Tiger Saw (model 738, non-orbital) right now. The guides that keep the ram from rotating are undersized and wore out. The mechanism that supports the ram bearings takes the other orbiting models into account. It's kind of weak and it now worn. The main ram bearings themselves also became quite sloppy. The wobble plate/ram joint also is getting worn.

I also had a Makita JR3000V. Simple, good design in many regards, but the anti-rotation guides were plain alumnium and wore out. Kinda underpowered and rough, too.

I seem to recall that the newer DeWalt models have different designs to help counteract some of these problems. The Bosch Panther saw also has an excellent internal design, although I've heard some have gear trouble.

Anyway, I'm getting rid of the PC saw because I just bought a used Milwaukee Super Sawzall. Milwaukee invented the modern reciprocating saw years ago, and I think it's still the best overall. The standard Sawzall is a very simple, reliable design. The Super Sawzall takes it one step futher and adds a counterweight to balance out the action. Only saw to have that feature. Rotational forces are absorbed in a different way from saws like the PC, too.

Any, I'd probably say get a Super Sawzall if you're looking for the best, then maybe an original Sawzall or DeWalt. The PC is also a great big, powerful saw, but I wouldn't recommend it for daily use.

By the way. You ever notice how most builders usually have mostly recent tools, with a few old ones knocking around? Along with Skil wormdrives, Bosch jigsaws, PC belt sanders, etc, one of the oldies is usually a Milwaukee Sawzall, still getting hard use after years.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I forgot to mention, the Ridgid has a large component of Ryobi design in it.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

stop joking around...

Reply to
Chris Merrill

It's *NO*JOKE*. Part of the introduction of their new line, is lifetime warranty -- *including* things normally considered consumables like _batteries_ -- for tools purchased *before* Dec 23.

If one is contemplating purchase of any cordless tools, it's a H*LL of a good reason to by Ridgid, before Christmas.

Reply to
admin

Sawzall, by Milwaukee should be at the head of the list

then dewalt or makita

then porter cable

then ridgid.

in my opinion, that is.

Reply to
admin

No idea about the other two. Dad has the PC, and it'll chew through just about anything with ease.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
MSgeek

Spend your money on something useful and rent the reciprocating saw as needed.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I have had a Milwaukee saw in the shop for well over 30 years and it keeps on ticken...lol....

And your son would be more then welcome in my garage anytime... although starting with a 305 is a little hard to understand... lol

anyhow... The Exhaust Tool Company (Gaithersburg Md) manufactures a tool (great name here..."The Exhaust tool") which will makes seperating exhaust pipes and mufflers ..even rusted to hell ones or spot welded ones a simple and "clean" chore... Since I purchased one a few years ago I have not fired up my compressor and pulled out the cut off tool a single time...

Bob Griffiths 68 SS 396 Chevelle ( 2, 4 barrels..Brodex heads, reverse valve body trans, line locks, fuel cell, roll cage, electric fuel pump and fans, no wipers, no radio, ..you get the picture... 64 Corvette ..L 76 365 Hp Rag top 4 sp 72 Corvette (ZZ4 powered) Rag top 4 sp 76 Corvette L 48 Coupe 4 sp both sets of tops 79 Corvette L 82 Coupe (auto) glass top only 95 Corvette LT1 Coupe 6 sp both sets of tops

BUT I haul my lumber in a "little" Dodge Dakota ... lol

Reply to
Bob G

Milwaulkee Super Sawzall. The PC was my second choice when I bought it, but I've had ZERO regrets.

If Bosch makes one, give it a look.

Reply to
Charles Krug

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (WARRENRN1) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com:

For that kind of power, something with a more sophisticated chassis and suspension than the Monte would be a better choice. Something with better brakes, too :-)

For cutting tubing to fabricate headers & collectors, I'd probably go with an angle grinder in preference to a recip saw.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I have the PC Tiger Saw and it works great. The only thing I don't like about it is the weight, about 9 pounds. This gets really heavy when working overhead for extended periods of time. If anything happened to it I'd give the Sawzall a serious looking at (7 lbs).

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Milwaukee. you will never have to worry about getting another. just MHO. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Unfortunately, the warranty IS a joke.

Search the archives of the group...someone here has already researched the warranty, talked to the dealers and it is for the "life of the tool". Not the life of YOU.

This is _nothing_ like the lifetime warranty on Craftsman hand tools. Who decides what the life of the tool is? Rigid does. IIRC, it also excludes normal wear and tear...so when it wear out...then the life of the tool is over. No repair or replacement - the warranty is over.

Reply to
Chris Merrill