Difference Between Upholstery and Construction Air Staplers.

Can someone tell me the primary difference between an upholstery air stapler and a regular construction air stapler. I noticed both paslode and porter cable make an upolstrey stapler for pretty cheap, and I noticed bostich staplers can be almost twice as expensive. What are the primary differences between these to? Or is it strictly compared on a tool by tool bases?
Thanks

has more force and drives longer staples - it pushes staples through wood, versus fabric. Again, just a guess. -- Igor
Primary difference - staple leg length Secondary difference - wire size
Upholstery stapler - 22 Ga., 3/8" crown staples from 1/4" to 5/8" long Narrow crown (1/4") - 5/8" - 1 3/4" - 18 ga. trim and cabinets Medium crown (1/2") - 3/4" - 2" - 16 ga. siding/sheathing Wide crown (1") - 5/8" - 1 1/2" - 16 ga. roofing,etc.
Only the medium and wide crown sizes would be considered regular construction. The narrow crown and upholstery are more for trim carpentry and furniture.
I would not recommend an upholstery stapler in a construction role. Might just as well go to the nearest office supply and pick up a desk stapler as far as the fastener is concerned.
Porter-Cable does make very adequate pneumatic equipment. I have a Jamerco upholstery stapler and a Spotnails NC stapler. I would use a framing nailer with the depth adjusted to flush instead of a medium crown stapler. I got a bargain on a roofing nailer. So, I would probably not have a need for the medium or wide crown units.
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:07:33 GMT, "Ken Adams"

I have a Maestri ME 3G(FWIW) electric tacker. I got the electric because I didn't want to drag that air hose all over the place. Basically, the 'uptown' upholstery tackers use a finer gauge wire than the construction staplers. I use Empire #7 staples in mine. You probably can't get the upholstery staples locally(I have tried....certainly HD and Lowes didn't know what I needed). See http://www.floydtool.com/upholstery_staple.htm#7
Larry

An upholstery staple is typically about 5/16ths wide, with 1/4" or so of staple on each side going into the wood. It's made to hold fabric onto hardwood, and has enough penetration (sometimes, _just_ enough) for that.
I suspect that a construction stapler is considerably larger and stronger. I wouldn't consider using an upholstery tool for construction.
Dave Hinz

combo all in one for about the same size I see other brad nailers by themeselves. What is the deal their, doesn't it make sense to get one that does both?
Thanks again, this is very useful info.

The combo brad nailers will often leave a hole the size of the 1/4" crown staple whether you shoot brads or staples. Not too ideal for finish work.
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:07:33 GMT, "Ken Adams"

I use a $24 Harbor Freight Contractor Series 1/4" (narrow) crown stapler on upholstery work. I just turn down the air pressure until the staple head sits where I want it. www.harborfreight.com #40072 (There's one on Ebay for $15 + $10 s/h right now if you don't have a store nearby.)
Upholstery shops (Like Perry, aka BentCajunGal) often use 7/16" (medium) crown staplers, slightly wider, and it's probably easier to remove their staples with that extra width.
What do you want to use it for?
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Doesn't the depth adjustment screw work?