Difference Between Upholstery and Construction Air Staplers.

Can someone tell me the primary difference between an upholstery air stapler and a regular construction air stapler. I noticed both paslode and porter cable make an upolstrey stapler for pretty cheap, and I noticed bostich staplers can be almost twice as expensive. What are the primary differences between these to? Or is it strictly compared on a tool by tool bases?

Thanks

Reply to
Ken Adams

I'm sure someone who KNOWS will reply, but here is a guess: The regular one has more force and drives longer staples - it pushes staples through wood, versus fabric. Again, just a guess. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Primary difference - staple leg length Secondary difference - wire size

Upholstery stapler - 22 Ga., 3/8" crown staples from 1/4" to 5/8" long Narrow crown (1/4") - 5/8" - 1 3/4" - 18 ga. trim and cabinets Medium crown (1/2") - 3/4" - 2" - 16 ga. siding/sheathing Wide crown (1") - 5/8" - 1 1/2" - 16 ga. roofing,etc.

Only the medium and wide crown sizes would be considered regular construction. The narrow crown and upholstery are more for trim carpentry and furniture.

I would not recommend an upholstery stapler in a construction role. Might just as well go to the nearest office supply and pick up a desk stapler as far as the fastener is concerned.

Porter-Cable does make very adequate pneumatic equipment. I have a Jamerco upholstery stapler and a Spotnails NC stapler. I would use a fram>Can someone tell me the primary difference between an upholstery air stapler

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

I have a Maestri ME 3G(FWIW) electric tacker. I got the electric because I didn't want to drag that air hose all over the place. Basically, the 'uptown' upholstery tackers use a finer gauge wire than the construction staplers. I use Empire #7 staples in mine. You probably can't get the upholstery staples locally(I have tried....certainly HD and Lowes didn't know what I needed). See

Lawrence L'Hote

An upholstery staple is typically about 5/16ths wide, with 1/4" or so of staple on each side going into the wood. It's made to hold fabric onto hardwood, and has enough penetration (sometimes, _just_ enough) for that.

I suspect that a construction stapler is considerably larger and stronger. I wouldn't consider using an upholstery tool for construction.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Just a follow up question: I see that you can buy a brad nailer/Stapler combo all in one for about the same size I see other brad nailers by themeselves. What is the deal their, doesn't it make sense to get one that does both?

Thanks again, this is very useful info.

Reply to
Ken Adams

The combo brad nailers will often leave a hole the size of the 1/4" crown staple whether you shoot brads or staples. Not too ideal for finish work.

Reply to
mp

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:07:33 GMT, "Ken Adams" calmly ranted:

I use a $24 Harbor Freight Contractor Series 1/4" (narrow) crown stapler on upholstery work. I just turn down the air pressure until the staple head sits where I want it.

#40072 (There's one on Ebay for $15 + $10 s/h right now if you don't have a store nearby.)

Upholstery shops (Like Perry, aka BentCajunGal) often use 7/16" (medium) crown staplers, slightly wider, and it's probably easier to remove their staples with that extra width.

What do you want to use it for?

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Doesn't the depth adjustment screw work?

Reply to
mp