difference between a night stand and an end table?

Hi, I am in the process of designing some living room end tables to match a solid mahogany coffee table I recently completed. The thing is, I am afraid I might make the end table look more like a night stand. From the furniture stores I visited, the only thing that mostly applies is that a night stand is wider than it is deep, and an end table is deeper than it is wide. Some stores had some night stands that were deeper than wide, but then again, maybe they werent placed properly in the showroom. I will have defined legs, a drawer as well as a door for a small cabinet. I did a dejanews search, but it appears I am the first to ask for an opinion on this here.. anybody go through the same thought process? What conclusion did you come up with?
thanks
My thoughts... An end table is usually next to furniture (but not necessarily) in any room except a bedroom. Whereas a night stand is an 'end table' that is in a bedroom.
That's my thinking.
Karl Fritz wrote:

If it is for you and you are going to build it, I wouldn't worry about it. Build items to please yourself not others!
A night stand sits next to a bed and holds a lamp and magazines.
An end table sits next to a sofa and holds a lamp and magazines.
Next question?

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:30:17 -0600, "Karl Fritz"

The difference in the two words depends on where you place the table. ;-)
An end table is used next to a sofa or chair and is used to hold a lamp, magazines, drinks, snacks, etc. It is usually deeper so it fills the space between the wall and the front of the chair or sofa so you don't have to reach behind you to set down your drink. A nightstand is shallow, allowing more room to get in and out of bed. The width of either would be based on space available and personal taste.
This is strictly my opinion and the way I would build them, but your needs and desires will be different.
Frank