Did It Again

Shoulder planes and rabbet/rebate planes have irons which extend just outside the body of the plane - on both sides. And what extends outside the body of the plane also has a nice square corner.

Now even the Veritas shoulder planes lack a real - be able to grab it - handle so the gripping position other than the Push It mode can be "adaptive" - figure out some way to hold this thing where you want it - then pull or push it - somehow.

And it doesn't take long to forget that these planes have that little bit of sharp edge - and that nice sharp corner - waiting to bite you as you try and find a grip for some weird planing need. Because the edge and corner are so sharp, I only realize I've managed to once again slice my finger - when the blood stains on the wood become noticable. The slice is never deep - just deep enough to a) draw blood and b)be irritating for a day or two.

During those few Did It Again sensativity periods I get real careful of my grip. But somehow, once the "reminder" goes away - I forget

- and often Do It Again.

Have you got a tool that bites you on a regular basis - not hard or deep - but enough to be annoying - for a few days?

Reply to
charlieb

Snip

Thinking right off the top of my head, yeah! My cabinet saw, after tilting the blade to 45 degrees I bang my hand against the bottom of the table/fence rail when I spin the height adjustment wheel to raise or lower the blade. Like most any other TS, when you tilt the blade to 45 the height adjustment wheel is much closer to the bottom of the saw table and fence rail.

Nail guns! They all have made my regular hammers jealous and with greater frequency the regular hammers take aim at my thumb. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

enough to be annoying - for a few days?

Well, not counting my ex-wife, no..

If you can remember to, and I know that's a big IF, put the band-aid on BEFORE you cut yourself on that plane, Charlie.. I have a roll on really nice self-adhesive latex "finger protection" tape that's been hanging on the pegboard over my bench for years, probably laughing at me every time I don't think to use it and get a cut or burn..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"Closing the barn door" Would never have occured to me to put the Band-Aid on BEFORE getting cut - brilliant! And I've even got a roll of that green crepe paper type tape that carvers often use.

In addition to preventing small cuts, it shuold also insulate finger tips from hot forstner bits - another often overlook source of pain for woodworkers.

Now if I can just remember where I put that large roll of that green tape . . .

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

At the risk of being horribly obvious, I suggest easing those sharp corners/edges in the grip area with a file or piece of sandpaper wrapped around a piece of scrap wood.

(Sheesh! Gotta tell these newbies /everything/.)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

charlieb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com:

*snip*

It's way back on that shelf you built a few years ago, the one in the cabinet. Remember not to lift your head until you've moved it completely clear! ;-0

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Well, Charlie, not that I'm admitting that I ever did that, but when I use ANY bit now on the lathe, I knock the chuck out of the tail stock, lay it down on the bench and remove the bit later.. I haven't got burned by a hot chuck yet, anyway..

BTW: After my reply about the latex finger tape, I found that since it's been hanging over the bench for so long, and (now I find out) wasn't in a sealed container, it's no longer tape.. Just latex ribbon that does NOT stick to itself..