Did I buy too much saw?....(long and rambling) I think my deal was good

Hi all, I am a beginner woodworker who first started butchering wood about 12 years ago (woodshop on an Air Force base; I'm active duty) I have been speedly devouring magazines and books dedicated to woodworking and have recently begun equipping my shop and building basic projects.
My current "tablesaw" is a tradesman benchtop model that I purchased for $77 from the local Lowes. I would love to say that my workmanship exceeded the operational capabilities of my machine... but to be honest, I'm not sure... All I do know is that the vibration, ear splitting scream, and 9 inch ripping capability definately influenced my project choices
So I began looking at tablesaws.... I researched and searched, called grizzly and ridgid... I examined the saws available to me (not many... a contractor saw or two, and a 1960's beautiful cabinet saw (pretty sure it was a unisaw) at my base shop) I decided that I had two choices
1. Buy a saw I could afford now- a reasonable contractor saw like the ridgid or a delta. I could possibly stretch to a craftsman 3/4 cabinet model if I could find one on clearance. I knew this choice would possibly lead to me desiring a larger saw in the future...
2. Bite the bullet and purchase an entry level cabinet saw/hybrid saw from grizzly or woodtek. After calling around, a saw with a nice fence, a mobile base, and shipping could be found for around $1300
Of course, my wife is my ultimate advisor; and she used the logic "why buy 2 saws in the next 10 years? Wait for a good deal (there are usually good discounts, esp for military, around memorial day) and then find the saw you want and buy it" What man does not love to hear those words from his spouse.... it reminds you why you married her in the first place--not only is she pretty and flowery smelling... she's smarter than you too! (now I just have to figure out what she saw in me... it definately wasn't my woodworking skills)
Then, two days ago... I saw it on Amazon ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Shipping estimate for these items: June 1, 2006 - June 15, 2006
Delivery estimate: June 6, 2006 - June 22, 2006
1 "Delta 50-289 Mobile Machine Base for Unisaw with 52" Unifence" Tools & Hardware; $154.44
Shipping estimate for these items: June 1, 2006 - June 15, 2006
Delivery estimate: June 5, 2006 - June 20, 2006 1 "Jet 708626CK/DC-1100CK Dust Collector with Filter Canister" Tools & Hardware; $599.99
Shipping estimate for these items: May 4, 2006
Delivery estimate: May 8, 2006 - May 9, 2006 1 "Delta 36-L31X-BC50 X5 3HP Left Tilt Unisaw with 50" Biesemeyer" Tools & Hardware; $1,382.50 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The price of the saw seemed great. The deal seems even better with the FREE dust extractor (they deduct the price at the end) and FREE mobile base (I know lots of folks get this)
With shipping ($99), my total for the saw, base, and dust extractor ($49 shipping) came to a hair over $1500. It is definately more saw than I was looking at (I had my head set on a griz 1023) but the deal seemed waaaaaaaaay too good to pass up on.
I feel like I have just purchased a saw that will serve me for my lifetime (and I'm not even that old yet :) and just wanted to share the experience. If anyone has any advice or expertise you can share with me about your experience with this saw I would love to read it. Also, I can't help but feel that I got a pretty darned good deal on this saw. If I'm deluding myself, I would love to hear this too.. heck I might even laugh at myself... again)
Thank you, and I look forward to your responses, Lawrence San Angelo, TX
On 1 May 2006 09:28:42 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net"

You will have a smile on your face every time you use that saw, for the rest of your life--priceless.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
On Mon, 01 May 2006 18:27:45 +0100, LRod wrote:

Absolutely. Unisaws may not be what they once were, but they're still the gold standard for home-shop saws. When you've built something that you're willing to show in public, please post pictures at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.
And thank you for serving our country!
--
-Joe Wells

"Here stands baseball's perfect warrior. Here stands baseball's perfect knight."
Joe Wells wrote:

I always heard that about the General.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I own a General, and I always heard that about the PM66. <G>
You totally did the right thing. Buy once. This saw will easily go 50 years with minimal care. Even if we've moved to lasers in 25 years, this saw will still do the job. Furthermore, it's a classic kind of investment. If you stop woodworking for any reason, someone will buy it for a big chunk of what you paid for it. It will pay for itself over and over as you use it through the years.
You made the right choice. You will never have cause to wonder if you have enough tool for a project. It's a solid buy in every way.
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I have the rigid table saw. It has had unbelievablely perfect quality over the 5 years I have had it. Has had almost no vibration, cuts very well. Not very good dust collectoin I build funiture with morise and tenon, craftsman, shaker etc. I also have made 2 beautiful and great to play electric guitars with that saw. I do have 3 blades, a rip, a crosscut and a dado set for the saw. 1. Are cabinet saws better. Yes but they require 220 and are very heavy Do I wish I had one. Yes but am very satisfied with what I have. 2. I have had no luck in initial or even long term quality of delta with a jointer, band saw, desktop mortiser. (ie my jointers guard very poorly designed and doesn't work right, never did) Fit and finish never perfect on delta tools. I also have the rigid planer same age with no complaints as well. 3. Grizzly is a little bit of a chance but not much. I think they are at least as good as delta. 4. The jet contractor hybrid super saw looks interesting. The dewalt same type looks interesting. Unfortunately everybody seems to own every body company wise so It is hard to stick to brands. 5. I find it is best to critically, very critically look at models at the store, then get the one that seems best regardless of price but that isn't very practicaly always is it.
my 2cents MBR

snipe....
Lawrence,
One consideration you didn't address - your status. I retired from the AF back in 83 and moved on average every 18 months - or sooner and spent half my career on TDY. Any large TS is not going to ship well - very often and survive. Plus when it's in storage, you have no control over the environment (think rust) and who will pack and crate it the way it needs to insure it survives?
If that is not a concern - go for the gold and enjoy. You won't regret it. I did wait until I retired before getting the big tools for the same reasons I stated above.
Bob S.
thank you all for your replies.
Bob,
Thank you for your response (and to everyone else that replied, thank you too)
To answer your question, I am active duty. I'm in a fairly stable AFSC, and only pcs about every 4 years or so (I just spent 8 years at the same duty station am now in a 3 year fixed tour) I do deploy quite a bit, though not at this duty station (I am an instructor) but decided that I would be better served by having a cabinet saw available when I am home.
I've already purchased the saw and am anxiously awaiting its delivery. I hope that my next change of station will be stateside-- if it is I will be doing a partial Do-it-yourself move (DITY) and will be pulling my "shop" in a trailer behind my truck to our next destination. If we go overseas again, I will be purchasing 50hertz motors for my stationary tools so they can be used. (and really hope that I made Master Sergeant this year so I can get the increased weight allowance)
What suprised me about the saw I purchased was the price. I haven't been able to find anything comparable for anything like the price I am paying... I was wondering if anyone else had seen these saws selling for a price like this, or if this was a "super-duper-lets get people to click on our "too low to show price button" special from amazon. (update: the price on amazon has now gone back up to around $1900--and no free dust extractor or base... I guess I got really lucky. I ordered 2 days ago (Saturday)) Thanks again for your responses, I am really looking forward to my new tool (and carefully respected toy) Lawrence
Sounds like you got a great saw at a great price. Did your overbuy? I think not.
Too much is not enough!
Post back and let us know how you like it once you get it up and running.
Thanks for keeping us all safe.
Lawrence,
First off, thank you for serving. I'm second generation military, my son is the 3rd generation.
Can't speak to the table saw performance, though I have heard good things about that model, but the Jet Dust collector you are going to love. I have that model and it performs well beyond my expectations.
RangerPaul
--
Email replies to nospam snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net remove the "nospam_"
before you reply.