Diamonds on a tape measure

Why are there diamonds on a tape measure. You know....the little black ones. What do they indicate? Cheers! Dominick

Reply to
Dominick Fiumara

On 13 Oct 2003, Dominick Fiumara spake unto rec.woodworking:

How far apart are they? If 16", they're for laying out studs. If not, then I don't know either.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

They are typically 16' on center for laying out studs in wood frame construction.

-Jack

Reply to
JD

If they're 19.2 inches apart - truss layout.

mttt

I was told many years ago by an old craftsman that the diamonds were for gauging wallpaper as each mark represented a rolls width. This was back it the days before the wallpaper came pre-trim to width.

Reply to
xEcute

They're for spacing things five to the 8' panel. Usually, studs are

16" on center (the red marks), or 6 per 8'. The black diamonds are 5 per 8', and every two feet makes 4 per 8'.

The down side of 5 per 8' is that you don't have anything at the 4' mark so you can't alternate your 4x8 panels like you do with 16" spacing. You'd have to use a different pattern.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

That's the woman's version. Some have rubies.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In general, the red diamonds are 16" apart, allowing 4 studs (and three spaces) to support a 4' sheet of ply or drywall.

And the black ones are about 19.2", allowing six studs (five spaces) to support an 8' sheet. (This is primarily used in commercial work, where steel studs are used to hold long sheets -- 12' and longer -- of drywall.)

Reply to
YesMaam27577

I just love to hear the replies when someone asks this question. Everyone has a different opinion. And it's interesting to see the uses by the guys who didn't have a clue and came up with their own uses. It is a framing mark, and it is used as a layout for certain trussing, I used them in school for Truss-joist systems.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:10:43 GMT, Scott Cramer pixelated:

Ayup. Constructioncritters use 'em for laying out tubafores.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wussa tubafore? Sumfin ya play ina marchin band?

Reply to
Grandpa

Nah! but it's been known to be wrapped in a marichino band

it's the appitizer you have, before the tuba-ate.

Reply to
admin

"YesMaam27577" wrote om...

It's also the spacing on the pre-fab wood trusses holding up the roof of my addition, because the engineer at the truss plant said we needed that _or_ 2x6 top chords to make the trusses stiff enough that the ceiling drywall wouldn't crack, so I said "Do both."

"Over-built" (like "over-kill") is an oxymoron. :-)

Reply to
Dennis M. O'Connor

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:54:55 -0600, Grandpa Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Its kinda like a dickiefore

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Reply to
Jim K

They are 19.2 inches apart and they are used for setting wood ibeam floor joist.They are much stronger than

2x.Ofcourse much more costly too.
Reply to
Jeff Balcom