Diameter of air lines

Brian, A word of caution, 100' of air line underground will trap and collect a ton of water. If you must install it under ground, slope it the same as you would a sewer line. At the end (low side) of the line build in a drip leg and a way to discharge the water. A sperate smaller reserve air tank wil go a long way to help with head loss.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Good point. Consider a separator before the line goes underground. There are cartridge type filters available. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was wondering about that. I suppose I would have problems with the line freezing in the winter, as it gets way below 32F here. I have to run the line exposed 1/4 of the way as I'm not going to tunnel under the basement foundation and the garage.

I thought if I put a good dessicant filter on the line I might be okay, but thinking about it more, the cold will cause water to condense out of the air.

I'm starting to think another compressor in the shed might be my best option.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

How does a seperator differ from a normal filter, or is this just another name for a filter? The best option would probably be a drier, but another compressor is less money.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

No no no no no ... nononono

God, No. >>>>

That's what went through my mind when I read this.

Use a standard separator, not a separator/ filter, certainly not a desiccant, where the air line comes out of the ground. And make it a big separator. The condensate will lay in the line and the air will gurgle through it bringing up droplets or until there is enough water to come out in a surge. You'll need something big enough to catch it.

Don't use a desiccant drier as the first thing on the pipe unless your into water soaked desiccant from the above stated reasons. If you did you better have a very forgiving wife who doesn't mind having the desiccant baked in her oven. Allot. Using a drier is a great idea but you need something to catch water mass first.

I would suggest also putting a 'T' in the line after the ground and before the air enters the separator and putting a ball valve on it. That way when the line fills with water you can blow out the line. It should be standard practice to blow the line before and after every period of use.

As long as the line slopes down until the low point is a couple of feet under ground I would guess freezing shouldn't be a problem. OTOH I can see where vapor would condense on the surface of initial few feet of line above ground, depending on how bad assed cold your neck of the woods gets.

That has it's own issues.

Reply to
Mark