Dial indicators are expensive

Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is

  1. That is more than I have in the jointer!
Reply to
stryped

You can buy a Dial Indicator and Magnetic Base for much less than you said. Try Ebay.

Reply to
Frank Arthur

I think I bought a dial indicator a few years ago from Harbor Freight for just a few dollars. And it's not a cheap piece of plastic.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Or Amazon. Or Grizzly. Or Google...

Clint

Reply to
Clint

You've already been given a link to one site that offers a dial indicator for only 2/3 that much. I assure you that there are others even cheaper, if you only take the trouble to look.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
stryped

Grampa never needed no stinkin' dial indicator with no magnetic holder.

Straightedge and a set of feeler gauges. The latter item is $5 from the Grizz.

Reply to
boorite

I use one of these to set the knives in mine:

works like a charm. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

"stryped" wrote in news:1158777940.624921.68320 @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

jlindustrial.com has a dial indicator and base for $19.00

Stock # AUMB1-15050C

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Shop around and you can get both for about $20.

Reply to
lwasserm

Try this...

've got (effectively) the same thing without the 'point set' - got it from JL Industrial - but this is a better deal, since the point set is also included.

A decent piece of equipment.

-- john.

Reply to
jcatora

I set my jointer and planer blades with a piece of wood. No pictures and no video. The manual for the jointer explains the procedure.

Have you attended a basic woodwork>Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to

Reply to
Jim Behning

I just use a good level and set it on the outfeed table. The knives are rigtht when they just touch the top of the level.

Reply to
tdup2

Reply to
Jim Behning