Dial indicators are expensive

Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is 44. That is more than I have in the jointer!
You can buy a Dial Indicator and Magnetic Base for much less than you said. Try Ebay.

I think I bought a dial indicator a few years ago from Harbor Freight for just a few dollars. And it's not a cheap piece of plastic.
Mike
Or Amazon. Or Grizzly. Or Google...
Clint

Make your own magnetic gauges. It's easy. Tom stryped wrote:

How? tom wrote:

only 2/3 that much. I assure you that there are others even cheaper, if you only take the trouble to look.
--
Regards,
stryped wrote:

Grampa never needed no stinkin' dial indicator with no magnetic holder.
Straightedge and a set of feeler gauges. The latter item is $5 from the Grizz.
I use one of these to set the knives in mine: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID 8 works like a charm. --dave

jlindustrial.com has a dial indicator and base for $19.00
Stock # AUMB1-15050C

Shop around and you can get both for about $20.
--
Every complicated problem has a simple solution that doesn't work.

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
stryped wrote:

Try this...
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID 82
I've got (effectively) the same thing without the 'point set' - got it from JL Industrial - but this is a better deal, since the point set is also included.
A decent piece of equipment.
-- john.
I set my jointer and planer blades with a piece of wood. No pictures and no video. The manual for the jointer explains the procedure.
Have you attended a basic woodworking class the covers shop tools in 2 days?

I just use a good level and set it on the outfeed table. The knives are rigtht when they just touch the top of the level.

My wood sticks get pulled just a little bit from the outfeed table. I get a pretty good cut when set up as the manual recommends. I guess that is similar to your use a level recomendation.