Dial indicator with magnetic base

Page 5 of 5
On 1/29/2012 9:39 PM, Bill wrote:

I glanced down at my new Maple board this morning, which has taken temporary residence in the family room, and it has gone straight. To my surprise, it looks perfect now. Surely, it's either my clean living or the humidifier in the next room! ; )
I know what they say about letting wood adjust to it's new surroundings. Well, there ya go! : )
Bill
On 1/31/2012 7:55 AM, Bill wrote:

Something to watch for. LOL Pick up the board on one end and look down its length and it looks straight. Turn it over and WOW it has a curve in it.
Most of the time with the exception of cabinet door frames I don't worry too much about a slight bow. That can be worked out when attaching to other pieces of the project.
Bill wrote:

Oops, my board has one edge which is straight and one which curves. I knew it wasn't perfect when I bought it. But gosh, how embarrassing... You may have heard the expression "dumber than a board"? :::Shaking head :::

I have owned that Grizzly set for about ten years and it is fine. I too bought mine for table saw setup but it gets used for lots of other things too. When I had to tear down my thickness planer a couple of years ago it made table adjustment easy.
Ron
Don't buy the cheap one....
Get a real tool for setups:
http://www.ts-aligner.com/tsalignerjr.htm
I have had one for several years and it can not be surpassed for power tool setup.
On 1/22/2012 9:06 PM, Bill wrote:

Good luck with that... http://www.ts-aligner.com/reseller.asp
I bought one a couple of years ago and damn near never got it. The excuse was that with the economic downturn he didn't have enough money and had to purchase supplies before he could machine them. I gave him 30 days and then disputed the billing on my credit card hence his new policy.
Note that I was billed and waited 30 days, not ordered and billed when shipped. Had it been the latter I could live with it.
All that said, it is a quality piece but there are others out there. Most would never use all of the features that this tool offers. If I had to do it again I would probably just build one and buy a good indicator.
I bought mine from Woodworkers Supply and got it the next day. I understand he ran into problems getting materials($$$) and since he was trying to run this as a "part time" business, I think he bit off a little more than he could provide.
It's a great device and I have read from many others that they loved it also.
He explains the process here: http://www.ts-aligner.com/reseller.asp