Dewaxed shellac Newbie Question

Hi! I know that you are supposed to use dewaxed shellac for a sealer under other coats of finish. But is there any reason not to use it for your topcoat as well? What are the advantages of waxed shellac? I am going to try shellac for the first time and I would prefer not to have to buy to many kinds! Thanks

Reply to
Sanford

The only advantage of shellac containing wax is that it is less expensive. Dewaxed shellac offers a harder finish, better moisture protection and somewhat better resistance to heat. About the only place I'll use shellac containing wax is to seal the underside of tables, etc.

Nova

It's how the bugs make it.

It's cheaper.

Personally I'm using a lot of cheap shellac for some jobs. I buy a cheap waxy grade, then let it stand undisturbed for a week or two, then decant off the top 2/3rd as unwaxed. You'll see the wax sitting in the waxy part.

Buy one sort, and use it up as fast as you can. Fresh is good, especially for waxy, or for blonde. Be careful where you buy it.

And read

too

Andy Dingley

Isn't supposed to sand easier too?