Dewalt vs. Delta table saw

Page 1 of 2
The wife says I can finally buy a new table saw (cough,cough, new dining room set,cough,cough) and have it down to 2. I am looking at the Dewalt DW746X or the Delta 36-715. I would like some input from people as I am leaning toward the Dewalt but have heard minimal about this particular one.
Thanks, Allen
Allen Roy wrote:

I'm a cheap bastard. Can't see dropping a grand for either for those wannabeacabinetsaws when a used Unisaw or Powermatic with a brand spanking new biesemeyer fence can be had for anywhere between $750 and $1,000. (buy saw without fence and buy new fence) But if the shiney stuff turns you one then I'd get the Delta. Probably get better re-sale value than the funky looking dewalt. This will be critical when you decide that you can sell your used saw for a better used saw and have a better used saw and not be out of pocket.
Of course, both are Black & Decker brands so replacement parts will be equally unavailable.
A.M. Wood wrote:

Not where I live they can't. There was nothing used of any quality available for about 800 miles in any direction over the course of about 8 months.
9" Rockwell contractor saws, yes. Used cabinet saws no.
Chris
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:43:09 -0600, Chris Friesen

Same here, with the exception of the occasional $800-1000 beat-to-crap THREE PHASE Unisaw.
Before going new, I spent almost _three_ years looking for a good, used Unisaw, General 350/650, PM, or even a Jet, within a 2-3 hour drive of CT, in papers, on the web, and on eBay.
To further illustrate the point, the Jet contractor saw (low end version, with Jet fence and stamped wings) that I bought new 5 years earlier for $600, sold for _$500_ on the first day I listed it in the Bargain News, a classified paper / web site that covers NY, CT, MA, and RI. The guy picked it up the same day, and I got three more calls about it while we loaded it. <G>
I know of folks in other locales who literally find old, working condition machines at the dump, or for free, they just need to haul it away! 8^(
B A R R Y wrote:

I believe that has been your experience. However, I live near the Southern CT border and my experience has been much different.
AM Wood
On 28 Oct 2006 06:03:02 -0700, "A.M. Wood"

Where did you find the stuff?
I'd love for my experience to mirror yours!
B A R R Y wrote:

No big secret. Ebay and Craig's List.
Delta Unisaw $350 had paint splattered on the cabinet and table top and a poorly mounted motor switch. (no miter gauge, which cost ~$35 purchased separately)
Delta Wood/Metal bandsaw, cast-iron base just south of $400. (Was missing the table insert which cost $10)
Delta 6" "long-bed" jointer, cast-iron base, magnetic motor starter & new motor $400 (Saw one in this area go on e-bay for ~200 that was missing a fence. (Most go for <$300 I justified the extra c-note by the base, motor & mag starter) (Two side notes: Guy had/has single phase unisaw with mag starter up for sale at roughly $500 Bought another for $350 with the newer enclosed base & probably paid too much but can part out and be fine.)
(Note those CI bases are difficult to find and worth around $150-$200 or more all by themselves.)
All single phase. None needed more than a cleaning & tune-up, but I restored (stripped, painted and bearings) for my own sake.
AM Wood
On 28 Oct 2006 07:27:57 -0700, "A.M. Wood"

Excellent!
I wish I had your luck using the same sources...
<<Before going new, I spent almost _three_ years looking for a good, used Unisaw, General 350/650, PM, or even a Jet, within a 2-3 hour drive of CT, in papers, on the web, and on eBay.>>
And if you look on craigslist under "Tools" in CT and Western MA, what you find mostly is lawn and garden equipment.
Lee

_________________________________
Allen Roy wrote:

Do to limited space I have the Dewalt- is perfect for my garage shop. Go to Amazon for other's inputs- maybe try a search also. I installed a table extension- plenty of power even w/ oak & ash (I do use a thin kerf blade). I'd rather be woodworking than doing a rehab of used/abused equip. Dewalt sells alot of these- it has been a popular model. Table top & fence are excellent- plan on upgrading the miter (I bought an Incra 1000se on sale). I put a Benchdog router table on the left & replaced the crap steel wings w/ a cast iron wing on the right. Of course it is mobile. Hope this helps...

I've had the opportunity to use the DW744S, and while it's a much smaller saw than what you're looking at, it was a very nice tool with some excellent features like the rack and pinion fence. Not having seen the DW746X in person, I couldn't say if that level of quality and engineering went into that as well, but I would feel very comfortable buying one based on the amount of thoughtful engineering they put into the lesser product's performance.
OTOH, the Delta outwieghs it by 80 pounds, and has a full cabinet. Given a choice between the two, I'd go with that- but I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at the DeWalt. They're both good tools, and either would be a nice addition to most peoples' shops.
Have you taken a look at the lower end Grizzly cabinet saws? They're in the same price range as well, and are true cabinet saws rather than hybrids- if that matters to you.
"Allen Roy" wrote:
> The wife says I can finally buy a new table saw (cough,cough, new dining > room set,cough,cough) and have it down to 2. I am looking at the Dewalt > DW746X or the Delta 36-715. I would like some input from people as I am > leaning toward the Dewalt but have heard minimal about this particular one. <snip>
Congratulations.
To paraphrase James Carvelle from the 1992 election, "It's the fence stupid".
Jack up a Unifence and drive anything that wants to call itself a table saw under it, and you will be happy.
Seriously, IMHO, the fence is the most important part of a saw, next come the blades.
SFWIW, I have a Delta Contractor's saw with a Unifence for about 10 years.
The OEM motor was a piece of crap. Replaced it with a 2HP, 3,450RPM, 230V, standard motor. I'm a happy clam.
Lew
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 07:00:25 GMT, Lew Hodgett

I strongly agree with this statement. Up until last week, I had a Craftsman contractors saw. Lots of modifications. But the single modification that kept me from tossing it out as being inaccurate and underpowered was a Biesemeyer fence. That made the saw very accurate. Well that and the fact that it held it's alignment.
The fence is the single most important feature on any table saw.
There's plenty of good fences out there. There's even more bad ones.
People seem to be happy with their Unifences and Vegas, I can say with certainty that the Biesemeyer fence is also top notch.
Prometheus wrote:

I've got a very small shop (11x13) and with the addition of the new Rikon bandsaw it's really overcrowded. I'm seriously considering going for a smaller tablesaw and have looked at the 744. Are there any "gotchas" I should know about?
Yes, I know the little Bosch comes in ahead of it in all the reviews, but second in a large field isn't bad. And I can get a reconditioned DeWalt for a lot less than the Bosch.
OTOH, if the Rikon performs the way the reviews say it can, I might not even need a tablesaw :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:34:56 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Not that I'm aware of. It is a plastic cabinet, like most DeWalt stuff- but there's plastic, and then there's DeWalt plastic. Don't know what they do to the stuff, but I've never broken any of it on my jobsite tools.
The five truly nice features are:
- It has a rack and pinion fence that doesn't drift- a big improvement over the other small saws I've used. Not only did it stay square on every cut for the couple of days I used it, but it was easy to adjust with the little knob- almost, but not quite, micro-adjustable.
- The top is coated with something like teflon, that doesn't rust and allows the work to slide like a freshly waxed table. I talked with a few others who had owned one, and they said it does hold up to heavy jobsite use and fairly severe abuse (like falling off the tailgate of the work truck) over a long period of time. With care, I'm sure it's nearly bulletproof.
- Enough rip capacity to cut a 4'x8' piece of plywood in half (the long way).
- There are extensions for side and outfeed support that actually work, and slide into the base when not in use
-The folding stand is easy to set up, and is sturdy enough.
You can't expect a Unisaw if you get one, but they are good for more than just goofing around with. My test of the thing was panelling a cabin- two full days of ripping 4'x8' cedar panelling without a helper, with several bevel boards and rips for nailers in construction lumber for another small project on the same place. Didn't even grunt ripping 2x pressure-treated stuff, so it seemed to have plenty of power. Granted, that won't tell you how it performs in 8/4 hard maple, but it was doing a job that most of the other smaller table saws couldn't do in a week of Sundays.
It was so suprisingly easy to use, that I almost got it instead of my Delta contractor's saw. But since I had the space, and don't have to move it, I went with the heavier machine.

Not bad at all- I haven't used the Bosch, but IIRC, it had a lot smaller cutting capacity, and the stand was sold seperately. Either one would be great if you have to store it out of the way after use- far better than the other benchtops that are the same size, albeit far less expensive.

Well, keep your fingers crossed, and let us know how that works out for you.
Allen Roy wrote:

FWIW, I bought the Delta back in May and have no regrets at all. Very easy to set up. Good dust control, large table to work on. The T2 fence has been great. I upgraded from a cheap Craftsman saw so I have not much to compare to. The only thing is the price, mine cast me $602.00 delivered from Amazon, so if you're not in a hurry you may wait until it goes on sale.
Good luck.
I have the 36-715 and have been very happy with it so far. Have not seen the Dewalt to compare though.
-Steve

message
Good Luck finding a used Table saw of good quality. I have been in the tool business for over 25 years and I can count on one hand the number of good used fair priced tablesaws I have seen for sale. I have sold new and used equipment and rarely did I get a chance to buy or take in trade a good tablesaw. Used tablesaws are like storys that "my neighbors brother-in-law's second cousin works with a guy who knows a guy that has a tablesaw for sale". Good luck.
mike wrote:

Ever hear of the internet? Folks advertise stuff for sall all the time. Some outrageously over priced. Some at bargain basement prices and some fairly priced. Overall, millions of things being sold every day.
But out of all of that, less than 5 (assuming and hoping your hand has all 5 digits) were fairly priced table saws.
That's just really really really hard to believe.
AM Wood
I don't recommend Ebay, but at the moment, there are at least 8-9 Unisaws of various conditions for sale.
Will you find one in your city ??? Maybe Will you find one being "given away" ??? Nope Will you find a fair deal that can be restored ??? Eventually
I bought a Delta 34-350 12/14 saw for $175 at a school auction. It was single phase and started the moment I plugged it in. I spent just over $600 completely restoring it.
Delta sells thousands of Unisaws every single year. Do you think they are all in production at the moment ???