Dewalt router problem

I picked up a pre-owned Dewalt 621 plunge router for my Woodrat. Lately, it fails to maintain RPMs. On startup, it quickly hits speed, then slows down and then speeds up again. The local Dewalt shop wants $132 to fix it. Ebay has some new 618 sets with fixed and plunge bases for a bit more. Anyone have any experience with the 618? Is it worth investing the $132 in the 621?

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Does this have a variable speed capability. I've seen some variable speed routers spin up to full speed then drop down to the running speed. Maybe try taking it apart yourself and see if there are any visible problems in the switch.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Sounds like it could be a brush problem

Reply to
Matt

I would ask them what is wrong exactly, buy the parts, and do the repair your self. I suspect that you would save $100 in labor.

Reply to
Leon

I'll bet you are right, Leon. The local "official" DeWalt repair center here charges $75 just to bench a tool for repair. At least he tells you that up front and will encourage you to buy a new machine rather than replace parts on a badly shop worn tool.

BTW, it sounds like it could indeed be brushes. They are cheap enough to try, and easy to install.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Brushes? rotor worn? Speed control switch dead spot? What dd the ship say was rhe problem? Did you ask?

Reply to
Twayne

center here charges $75 just to bench a tool for repair. At least he tells you that up front and will encourage you to buy a new machine rather than replace parts on a badly shop worn tool.

BTW, it sounds like it could indeed be brushes. They are cheap enough to try, and easy to install.

-------------------------------

Robert, you have been missing for the past few weeks.

Everythink OK?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hey Robert, where have you been hiding? Good to hear from you again.

Reply to
Leon

Lew and Leon - thanks for asking. I am cruising on Saturday afternoon with a cup of joe. Perfect time to read the group and respond.

Last couple of month have been a lot to deal with. Continuing problems with health of both parents have been a huge drain. Dad is now in hospice after a dramatic recovery from the brink. I swear they must have made him out of old anvils, railroad ties and sledgehammers. He may (possibly) even get to leave hospice... it wouldn't surprise me. He has chatted more with St. Peter than anyone I know.

Mom now has the beginnings of Alzheimer's. At the start, there is a lot of confusion, and she wants her son around as much as possible for the days when she is confused.

Getting their affairs in order financially, legally, and logistically has been rough with both in bad condition and limited funds to work with. Had a nearly two hour long meeting with the hospice staff yesterday after allegations of abuse by my Dad were launched. They turned out to be unfounded... he is sick, old and tired of being treated, therapied, handled, and medicated.

And we are finally feeling the brunt of the dead economy in spades here in San Antonio. I can't give work away as there are so many just looking to feed their families these days. I have passed more cards, shaken more hands, attended more functions and bought more lunches in the last 6 months than I have in the last 6 years. I have three fellow contractors that are going out of business after the first of the year. That bothers me; they may not be the best businessmen, but they are good guys, competent contractors and straight as a string. They are planning on using personal savings and spousal income to finish their contracted work so that they leave their reputation and integrity without stain. These aren't the guys that should be leaving contracting.

I get too tired, and all to often when I think of this group I don't remember all the good guys. I think of all the negative energy and wasted time put into political discussions that have no merit, no bearing on any situation, have no fruit to bear. While others seem to enjoy the *block*copy*paste* information they post from their Google searches, to me the are actually just a waste of time and bandwidth. I don't need one more negative thing to read or look at.

On the other hand, I am starting to get the club in order for our fall projects for the Wounded Warriors. I will be organizing our "Sunday Night Football with the Troops" that is coming up the day before Halloween. This is not altogether altruistic; it makes me feel really good (and really humble) to have a chance to organize the event and make this happen. Best of all, they are really pleased to have us. After I leave a successful even like that, it always make me feel not only lucky with my life, but enormously glad I did it.

And we are now in the beginning stages of our Christmas Eve dinner for the Troops and their families. We are hoping to serve about 300+ this year (!!) with our all volunteer staff to do cooking, prep, serving and cleaning with as much food stuffs as we can get donated. With our unpleasant economy here, we have lost about 1/2 of our business support, so we will have to put some serious dough (several hundred?) in to make up the difference. This will scare a lot of the members as it takes our little club a *long* time to get that kind of money. I will have to write some of my best club newsletters yet... but I know in my heart these guys will come through for the Troops and their families. Still I will be nervous as anything this large has to be put a vote by the members. You never know....

Anyhow, thanks for asking! Sorry to ramble. Just feeling a bit thoughtful this morning. You guys doing OK?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On 10/15/2011 2:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: Snip

Ramble any time!

Doing great Robert! My dad moved in with us in June and that has been a challenge for the both of us. ;~) I can relate to you and your dealing with your parents. It is no fun but at least my dad is still in good health and as mentally there as ever.

And once again I commend you for helping to take care of those that gave so much. I was at my nieces wedding party in Arkansas 2 weeks ago, she FINALLY got married and probably in true Arkansas fashion she married her sweet heart of 7 years whom she met when he was 20. She was 38 at the time. WOT????

Anyway a lot of their friends at the party were locals and a good number of them are currently in the service. Fortunately none of them have paid a high price. What a great bunch of warriors, men and women. The party started ab about 4:00 pm and ended the next morning around 2:am. Most of what I can remember was them simply stating that they were simply doing a job and keeping an endless supply of beer and great stories coming my way.

When will you be coming to Houston again??

Reply to
Leon

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:727fc9ed- snipped-for-privacy@gy7g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Robert. Unfortunately I do know what you're going through. I infer that your parents are close by, which makes things easier on the one hand, and more draining on the other. I had to tell my parents that I would call them about once a day at around 6:30 AM my time, when it was 6 hours later for them. A few calls from them in the middle of the night made me do that. But those are old memories now. I'm still glad I could do what I did, but at times wish I could have done more.

I'm retired and have too much time at times ...

Reply to
Han

Kudos to you Robert. Having been through a similar experience with my mother and my MIL I can understand the ordeal. And congratulations for your work with the Wounded Warriors. I have been working with them here at Fort Bliss and Wm. Beaumont Hospital. Having had similar experiences (Korea '50-'51) I can relate. I've learned, though, that casualties from explosions are totally different from being hit by bullets or shrapnel. The brain can get really messed up. I'm amazed that as many as do can work it out. Keep the faith.

Max

Reply to
Max

On 10/15/2011 2:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: Snip

Good here, my folks are ok up in Chicago but aging. Been looking for work in St Louis area but no luck, a 55 year old electronic tech ain't that much in demand. Marriage has been a bit rough lately but a couple of deaths of her brothers and mom in law is also aging.

But I have a nice house qith a two car garage shop and a long todo list.

Good to hear from you.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

------------------------------------- Glad to see you are sitting up and taking nourishment on a regular basis.

Reading thru your post, somehow I get the impression that your busy schedule is a blessing.

Keep up the good work for as long as you can.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

snip Hope everything goes well for you Robert, keep up the good work with the troops. Rgds. Phil.

Reply to
<address_is

Robert,

Will you send me a good email address?

bill (at) welshpembrokecorgis (dot) com

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

On 10/15/2011 3:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: >

You have been missed.

I think all the boomer crowd is either facing or going through many similar things. The work thing is a real nut buster for a great many folks in the building industry.

The family stuff is a tough pull for people with resources, and god help the poor crowd.

My wife just got her first new "knee" and it is making me crazy trying to deal with her and get any work done.

The vet stuff is wonderful and I'm sure glad some folks got the guts to do it.

Hope it gets better.....

Reply to
Pat Barber

Glad you (and hopefully yours!) are doing well. I literally have not left the city limits since I saw you and Karl this last Christmas. A quick get away would be nice.

I guess it depends on the powers that be and how they treat the folks.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks, Lew. And you are right about a couple of things. Cigar consumption has increased as well, and I am now at about 4 a week. So that means I am still getting out to the club on occasion, and seeing my buddies cheers me up. No matter how bad I have it sometimes, there is ALWAYS somebody that has it a lot worse, and handles their lot better.

And you are right about my busy schedule. In following along with my personality, I have a tendency to prioritize things and work on them. The more I have to do, the more I get done (when it works right!) and the less stressed I am.

There are times I have so much to do for my folks that I put their notes in a job notebook, just like my regular book I use to keep all my estimates and job notes. I have my good days and bad days, but it keeps a fella out of the bars, that's for sure.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks, Pat. I don't see you around too much anymore, either. We should make a concerted effort to make this a woodworking group again, no?

All too true. I am not going down a path many have not walked before, but my particular problem is that my folks did NOTHING to prepare for their later years. I had to clean out their house (run down from years of old, sick people living in it) put it on the market and sell it. I have had to monitor their ongoing health issues such as 2 years ago my father (then at 83) falling and breaking his back in 4 places after finishing his cancer surgery. And last year several of my Mom's teeth fell out.

Then there was no valid will. No DNRs. No powers of attorney of any type. No financial plan at all. No long term plan for the survivor of the two in the event of demise of the other. Working through the maze of Medicare, co pays, doctor visits, and on an on along with their always changing situation has been a time hole.

Or worse, the crowd that does not have a personal advocate. I have moved my Dad twice from care facilities that have pronounced his time up, and have tried to install him in hospice to make his remaining time comfortable. That crap started almost three years ago. If you don't have someone in your corner and you are old and sick, they are ready to sweep you out with the rest of the expired stuff without another thought.

Hey, that's the good stuff. While some of our members feel too much pain to actually interface with the guys that are really "banged up", they miss the boat. Most of the wounded troopers want nothing more than to be treated as normal guys, talked to like men, and NOT to talk about their injuries. At our last dinner I had a lot of fun talking to the troopers and their families as they come from all over the USA for our medical facilities that serve all branches.

I had a spirited conversation with a young man about the age old "Kansas City Barbecue vs. Texas Barbecue" debate that was only able to see out of one eye. He of course was for KC, but I think I held my own. He was quiet and reserved for the dinner, but at the end of the he made it a point to come see me and tell me how good the barbecue was to him, although not like home. That put a smile on my face, and he was pleased with himself (a young man in his early 20s) for teasing me.

It will.

Thanks to you and everyone else for their good wishes. I haven't seen this many old faces here in some time. Good to hear from everyone.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41