DeWalt RAM

I have a chance to buy a 17" Dewalt B&D power shop radial arm saw for $200. Seems to be in decent shape, maybe needs brushes in the motor. When turned on the lights dim a little. But then it's not on it's own 120v circuit. The original manual comes with it, and a bunch of rusty blades. Here's the question: If the motor needs brushes, is it worth the money? Parts are still available, mostly used or made by a second party. There is a place in town ( Toledo ) that can check it out and set everything ( heel, toe, etc. ) for about $45. Need some opinions here. All advice will be helpful.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jimmy

I think maybe you have something confused here. A 17" ras couldn't run on

120v. 120v motors are limited to 15a (occasionally up to 20a) and a 15a motor wouldn't cut anything with a 17" blade. I don't think I have ever seen one over 12" that wasn't 3phase.

In general, you should make all the adjustments yourself. They go out of adjustment easily and you can't very well spend $45/month.

Reply to
Toller

The crossover to three phase is usually about 7-1/2 HP. I've seen dozens of

14" and larger RAS that are single phase, but I've NEVER even heard of a 17" that is 120 volt.

I'd strongly suggest the OP take a closer look at the saw, the nameplate with specs, etc., then check with the place in town that tunes them for $45. It is better to start right with a used saw than it is to screw around for six or eight months with something that you can't get adjusted. Once it's adjusted and he knows what to expect, he can locate a copy of Jon Eakins book and do his own tune-ups at the time they're need, which will NOT be monthly unless the saw is royally screwed up or used on a production line.

Heavy duty RAS do not go out of adjustment easily unless mistreated.

Reply to
Charles Self

B&D makes heavy duty saws? Well, maybe their 17 inchers...

Reply to
Toller

No telling how old this monster really is. I started framing apartments in '72, and we had one of these old B&D monsters out on the job, NOT the DeWalt which was more common. It was old then, ran on its own circuit (courtesy of the jobsite electricians) and we used it all day long. The guys that ran it had been with the company a while and they told me that it had been rebuilt several times.

We used it to cut the ridge angle on rafters, the rake on the rafters where possible, floor joists, roof joists, and headers for build up. Never saw it hiccup.

BTW, you should know that B&D still manufacturs a commercial, heavy duty line of tools. When I was doing some inspections on a union job, they all used the B&D line of commercial tools because they were made in America. They were the only ones allowed on the job.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41