Dewalt or Makita Jigsaw?

Hello,

I am planning on buying a real jig saw. My 23 year old Black and Decker died this weekend.

I have decided to fork out money for a quality jig saw. I have been looking at the Dewalt DW321 and the Makita 4304T.

What do people recommend? They are about the same price. Any comments, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mike :)

Reply to
Michael

Mostly the Bosch 1587AVSK.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

The Nov 2003 issue of PWW has contains a review of 12 jigsaws.

It included the Dewalt DW321 and the Makita 4341FCT. The Makita took one of the "Editor's Choices"

Sounds like a timely article worth reading.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Angel

What is PWW? Mike :)

Reply to
Michael

The DeWalt's have an inherent problem with not being able to hold on to the blade during use. I have use used a friends and it does indeed spit out the blade during use. It also is HUGE. Makita would be my choice given only those 2 choices.

If you add Bosch or Milwaukee to that mix, you would probably end up deciding between the Bosch and the Milwaukee. At the moment the Milwaukee has the edge over the Bosch MOSTLY because of the Quick blade change set up. The Bosch blade change setup is similar to working the combination a Safe, as you turn the handle this way a few times, that way a few times, and wiggle the blade until you hear a click and so on. The good news is that Bosch has scrapped that set up for one similar to the Milwaukee and should be available soon.

Reply to
Leon

Bosch 1587AVSK ... I'd buy again if I had to..

... or a Milwaukee.

Reply to
Swingman

Popular wood working

[snip]
Reply to
jo4hn

Milwaukee. Built like a brick outhouse. They are on closeout at Lowes right now for $99.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Bosch is very, very good. (The blade change does take a little while to get used to.) Bosch makes both barrel grip and top handle models. I've got a barrel grip, but I think most people prefer the top handle. I believe Milwaukee also makes a barrel grip model.

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

I'm quite impressed with my Bosch....

Reply to
Chris Merrill

I have a Bosch GST 100 CE (don't think the model is available in the US) but it's a beauty.

Reply to
Don Mackie

Just seems like nothing cuts as smooth or precicely as the Bosch, and now you don't have to chase after that long skinny screwdriver to change the blades.

Reply to
BUB 209

I'm chimin' in here with Leon. Take a serious look at the Milwaukee.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

I just brought home a Bosch 1584AVSK. This is the barrell-grip type jig saw they make.

I tried out 5 different blades on a scrap of poplar, just to see what kind of finish they would give and to get a little practice with the tool.

What in God's name are you griping about in terms of the blade change on the Bosch??? It takes maybe 20 seconds to change the blade, and the blade is LOCKED in place.

I admit to having no experience with the Milwaukee, and obviously only a very little experience with the Bosch, but I can't imagine that someone would not choose this jigsaw because they thought changing blades was somehow an issue because it isn't.

Moreover, this has to be the most solid, feature-rich jigsaw I've ever seen. My previous experience was with a Skil 4 Amp orbital and a Craftsman one from a long time ago, so I'm not surprised that the Bosch easily wins in my estimation.

The tool was only $149 at the Home Despot, and I think it was well worth it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I've used 2 Bosh (1 with the old long screwdriver blade change and 1 with the new plastic paddle), 1 DeWalt, a B&D, and a Craftsman. The Craftsman and the B&D were nearly worthless and I only used them if I had to. The DeWalt is 2 years old and has seen serious use, thick maple, oak, aluminum, steel, countertop sink cutouts. It's every bit as good as the Bosh units, with no blade slippage problems. Haven't used the Makita or the Milwaukee, but I never met a Milwaukee tool I didn't like. Dean Bridges

Reply to
dean b

Well, my crappy old 20 year B&D still has 3 years to run?! It still gives good enough service for hacking up ply.

But I did buy a new Bosch PST50 (Prob a different # in the USA) and I'm pleased. It was on sale, and cuts smoother than a friend's Makita (can't recall the #) that was close to twice the price. I find the Bosch blade change system is very quick and positive. Now I have a decent, but not very high-end, jigsaw, it gets a lot of use.

No experience with other brands.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Only takes about 5 seconds with the Milwaukee and the blade is LOCKED in place. :-)

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

I know, I know. But, my point was just that it isn't THAT big of a difference to make or break a decision. The Bosch is a kick-butt jigsaw (which I'm sure the Milwaukee is, too). I really wanted the barrel grip, so that was my biggest decision maker, but all the other features are awesome, too. And after changing the blade 5 times, I already know it won't bother me at all and isn't going to frustrate me in the least.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Before buying my Milwaukee 5 years ago I had used the Bosch and went to buy the Bosch. The sales guy told me to compare Milwaukee to the Bosch. I bought the Milwaukee. It was a no brainer.

If you use the saw a lot and have ever BROKEN a blade, you would appreciate the Milwaukee blade change feature over the Bosch. While 20 seconds sounds like a short amount of time, it becomes a pain if you remove the blade every time to store the saw, up right in a cabinet as I do. The normal release and install of a new blade on the Milwaukee is a 5 second ordeal with you only needing to push a lever, pull out the blade, put in the blade and release the lever. To put that into perspective,,,compare Dial Up connection speed to DSL or Cable internet connection speed.. ;~) IF, you break a blade and have little or nothing to grab, or if the blade is too hot to handle or if you are in a hurry, simply push the lever while the saw is still running and it will eject the blade or the "broken off flush with the holder" piece of blade immediately. You really have to experience it to really appreciate the difference in convenience and time saved. Nothing wrong with the Bosch but the blade change setup is way over engineered. The new Bosch saws are going the Milwaukee route for blade change.

Reply to
Leon

Just thought I'd add to this. I have an old, old Bosch 1581 (no VS) that still runs smoothly and cuts a tight line. I bought it used from a guy who had used it commercially. Very durable tool. I also haven't found the 12" screwdiver routine to be a problem. Nice and secure.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4