Dewalt or Makita Jigsaw?

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
I am planning on buying a real jig saw. My 23 year old Black and Decker died this weekend.
I have decided to fork out money for a quality jig saw. I have been looking at the Dewalt DW321 and the Makita 4304T.
What do people recommend? They are about the same price. Any comments, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Mike :)
Michael wrote:
<snipped>

Mostly the Bosch 1587AVSK.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
I have a Bosch GST 100 CE (don't think the model is available in the US) but it's a beauty.
--
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit,"
Reverend Jim Peasboro

looking
What is PWW? Mike :)

Popular wood working
[snip]

looking
The DeWalt's have an inherent problem with not being able to hold on to the blade during use. I have use used a friends and it does indeed spit out the blade during use. It also is HUGE. Makita would be my choice given only those 2 choices.
If you add Bosch or Milwaukee to that mix, you would probably end up deciding between the Bosch and the Milwaukee. At the moment the Milwaukee has the edge over the Bosch MOSTLY because of the Quick blade change set up. The Bosch blade change setup is similar to working the combination a Safe, as you turn the handle this way a few times, that way a few times, and wiggle the blade until you hear a click and so on. The good news is that Bosch has scrapped that set up for one similar to the Milwaukee and should be available soon.
Leon wrote:

I'm chimin' in here with Leon. Take a serious look at the Milwaukee.
Scott
up later, the damage remains.
I just brought home a Bosch 1584AVSK. This is the barrell-grip type jig saw they make.
I tried out 5 different blades on a scrap of poplar, just to see what kind of finish they would give and to get a little practice with the tool.
What in God's name are you griping about in terms of the blade change on the Bosch??? It takes maybe 20 seconds to change the blade, and the blade is LOCKED in place.
I admit to having no experience with the Milwaukee, and obviously only a very little experience with the Bosch, but I can't imagine that someone would not choose this jigsaw because they thought changing blades was somehow an issue because it isn't.
Moreover, this has to be the most solid, feature-rich jigsaw I've ever seen. My previous experience was with a Skil 4 Amp orbital and a Craftsman one from a long time ago, so I'm not surprised that the Bosch easily wins in my estimation.
The tool was only $149 at the Home Despot, and I think it was well worth it.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
Mike in Mystic wrote:

Only takes about 5 seconds with the Milwaukee and the blade is LOCKED in place. :-)
Scott
up later, the damage remains.
I know, I know. But, my point was just that it isn't THAT big of a difference to make or break a decision. The Bosch is a kick-butt jigsaw (which I'm sure the Milwaukee is, too). I really wanted the barrel grip, so that was my biggest decision maker, but all the other features are awesome, too. And after changing the blade 5 times, I already know it won't bother me at all and isn't going to frustrate me in the least.
Mike

saw
kind
the
is
Before buying my Milwaukee 5 years ago I had used the Bosch and went to buy the Bosch. The sales guy told me to compare Milwaukee to the Bosch. I bought the Milwaukee. It was a no brainer.
If you use the saw a lot and have ever BROKEN a blade, you would appreciate the Milwaukee blade change feature over the Bosch. While 20 seconds sounds like a short amount of time, it becomes a pain if you remove the blade every time to store the saw, up right in a cabinet as I do. The normal release and install of a new blade on the Milwaukee is a 5 second ordeal with you only needing to push a lever, pull out the blade, put in the blade and release the lever. To put that into perspective,,,compare Dial Up connection speed to DSL or Cable internet connection speed.. ;~) IF, you break a blade and have little or nothing to grab, or if the blade is too hot to handle or if you are in a hurry, simply push the lever while the saw is still running and it will eject the blade or the "broken off flush with the holder" piece of blade immediately. You really have to experience it to really appreciate the difference in convenience and time saved. Nothing wrong with the Bosch but the blade change setup is way over engineered. The new Bosch saws are going the Milwaukee route for blade change.

Decker
comments,
only
Milwaukee
Safe,
that
ld
"Leon" wrote in message

to buy

appreciate
sounds
every
release
you
blade is

while the

flush
in
blade
Well Leon, I had a new Milwaukee 6256-6, that I ended up putting on eBay. Obviously you haven't used their new design, that new ergonomics style does not go well with the small base considering the vibration.
I had test drove a coworkers Bosch 1587 AVS before buying the Milwaukee, but felt it my duty to buy Milwaukee since my sawzall,router, drill are the same. Should have stuck with that test drive, because that is what I bought while the Milwaukee was listed on eBay. No regrets for selling that tool.
You're making a bigger deal out of blade change than what it is, fact is most woodworkers spend more time cutting than changing blades. I'll take a smooth action precise tool anyday over the decision if I'm going to spend a few seconds more per day changing a blade. I change blades for cutting, not because they break, I use HSS blades and not those carbon steel from HD or Lowes. Probably been three years since I've actually broke a HSS blade.
Your perspective comparing blade changing of these two tools to Dial Up and DSL, is far fetched if you really spent any time with the Bosch.
Mac
Bosch 1587AVSK ... I'd buy again if I had to..
... or a Milwaukee.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

looking
Michael wrote:

Bosch is very, very good. (The blade change does take a little while to get used to.) Bosch makes both barrel grip and top handle models. I've got a barrel grip, but I think most people prefer the top handle. I believe Milwaukee also makes a barrel grip model.
Steve

Michael wrote:

I'm quite impressed with my Bosch....
--
Chris Merrill

I've used 2 Bosh (1 with the old long screwdriver blade change and 1 with the new plastic paddle), 1 DeWalt, a B&D, and a Craftsman. The Craftsman and the B&D were nearly worthless and I only used them if I had to. The DeWalt is 2 years old and has seen serious use, thick maple, oak, aluminum, steel, countertop sink cutouts. It's every bit as good as the Bosh units, with no blade slippage problems. Haven't used the Makita or the Milwaukee, but I never met a Milwaukee tool I didn't like. Dean Bridges
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:16:16 -0500, "Michael"

Well, my crappy old 20 year B&D still has 3 years to run?! It still gives good enough service for hacking up ply.
But I did buy a new Bosch PST50 (Prob a different # in the USA) and I'm pleased. It was on sale, and cuts smoother than a friend's Makita (can't recall the #) that was close to twice the price. I find the Bosch blade change system is very quick and positive. Now I have a decent, but not very high-end, jigsaw, it gets a lot of use.
No experience with other brands.
Barry Lennox