DeWalt News

Unless it was sitting in water, I doubt that it was a real ground fault. Likely a bad GFCI (likely from China, too).
On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 20:15:58 -0400

or more likely an overload GFI can be tripped by a current overload not just a short to ground
On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 17:40:15 -0700, Electric Comet

Then something is wrong with the GFCI. They are not circuit breakers (well, unless they are GFCI breakers ;-). Some are sensitive to harmonics (crappy waveforms) on the line, though. It's possible the charger was putting crap on the line, too.

I don't have a cordless DeWalt anything.
Of the few cordless tools I have owned, I have had mixed success. A life of 2-3 years for a battery pack at current replacement prices ($80+) doesn't cut it for me.
My Ryobi cordless weed trimmer and mower lasted over ten years before needing a battery replacement. I got 15 years out of the trimmer and still going with the cordless mower at over 20 years, both with one battery replacement. My B&D trimmer came with two batteries and is dying after 4-5 years. BD says to keep the batteries plugged in at all times but only gives you one charger. My Makita handheld blower/vac battery died year 2. Got a rebuildt replacement is on year 3 and showing signs of end of life.
I was gifted a DeWalt corded drill [D21002] to use in a mount for several projects but this model has no trigger lock-on. So, it is still sitting new in the box.
I own a DeWalt scrollsaw with DeWalt attachments that is a joy to use.
As far as DeWalt goes, they're corded tools have worked fine for my uses. I haven't tried their cordless and am a bit cordless-shy from the trouble I have had and seen from friends and family with any brand of cordless. The only successful cordless tool I have and still have, is a Milwaukee cordless screw driver still going strong after 20 years with only one battery replacement.
Just my 2 cents on DeWalt and cordless.