DeWalt News

Well said. I remember going into the trades back in the early 70s, and it was a different world. There were NO foreign tools on the job. Porter Cab le was king, and they made a fine grade of professional tools. They had so me competition with the industrial line of Black and Decker (excellent tool s, available only through a professional jobber), Millers Falls, the top li ne of Skil, and from a small company that made drills and the original Sawz all, Milwaukee. They were the kings of the job site as they cost a lot, bu t they lasted for years on site, and were rebuildable. I still have my Mil waukee Hole Shooter purchased in '76, and although it has had many cords, a few sets of brushes and a trigger or two, it still works! My last Milwauk ee circular saw was rebuilt (bearings, brushes, triggers, cords) than I rem ember, and it finally had so many things wrong they couldn't get all the pa rts. My Porter Cable circular saw (346C) runs to this day. It is so old y ou have to load the grease cup every few days when you are using it.

These were fine tools, engineered for professionals that put them to work a ll day long. I didn't cry about spending money on them; I dutifully waited until I could afford them as I knew they were a good investment in a quali ty tool. My last American made tools to do that for me are my Bosch router , my Bosch circular saw, and my Sioux circular sander/polisher. All of tho se models are made somewhere else now, somewhere other than here.

So I know it can be done. ANYPLACE that can make a tool that will serve on the job for 30 years or more knows their stuff, and that used to be us. I just don't think there is that kind of desire for quality or the desire to make it by a manufacturer. "Good enough" is the manufacturing standard of the day, and I have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

I think it odd to see foreign names on the tools being touted so highly. T hinking back on the old tools when I was reading this thread, I remember ba ck in the early 70s there were NO foreign tools allowed. Period. If you h auled it out on site, you were warned to put it up or it got smashed. I li ve in "Military City USA" where we has at one time 8 military bases.

So there were no Japanese tools. There were no German tools. There were n o Italian tools. Thinking back, WWII was only about 25 - 27 years past us, and that wasn't far enough for the experienced hands on the job. Some of the guys I worked with weren't even 50, and they served in WWII, so they th ought it disrespectful and disloyal to support our old enemies in any way. The local unions banished all foreign made tools from the jobs, period, no exceptions. We used American only and were damn proud of it.

I like their 10" miter saw, and have a few other DeWalts and agree with you r statement. No bad, but I quit seeing too many DeWalt products on the job for a real simple reason: they don't last well for site use. Their drill s are still pretty good, and since they are now priced around the Ryobis, a re probably a pretty good deal, as they now have the same warranty as the R yobi products. I have never had a saw or drill from DeWalt last longer tha n 3 years, so I think their warranty reflects their product confidence. Ho pefully, they would last a homeowner longer than that since I probably use saws and drills in a week more than some do in a year.

Guess we will see what happens to the new made in America line. I have bud dies that will buy those tools simply because they have that sticker. When I had three DW recips saws in a row fail in one week, a drill last about 2 years (one year warranty at that time) and had to return other DW tools si mply due to poor quality of fit/finish/performance, that did it for me.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I remember when Made in America meant a standard of quality. . Now it simply means where it is built.

Reply to
Leon

I bet that was pretty interesting. Did the motor glow red? I have seen the old style aluminum jumper cables dance when jumping a vehicle. Funny and scary. Copper jumping is another story.

Reply to
Leon

Bull! That is just an excuse for an incompetent engineer.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I think the engineer is probably competent but is doing what he is told.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:CNednTtm9pk snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The problem Lithium-based batteries have is that they can overheat and then literally burn up. They need some form of protection to keep them from doing so and causing fire.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Right, and they need to be able to communicate through internal circuitry with the charger, that can all be handled within the battery.

Reply to
Leon

Oh, they *certainly* do. Most have a small microprocessor in them, as well. LiIon has a nasty habit of letting out the magic smoke (and fire). A decent appliance will have a "gas gauge" chip built into the battery to remember its charge state. It's quite difficult, to impossible, to do this in the appliance.

No, the problem is *not* just during charge. It's possible to put the protection circuits into the tool but not advised. Each cell should be monitored.

Reply to
krw

No, the fire problem is not just during the charge cycle.

Reply to
krw

I really wish "you people" would reply to the right person. I didn't criticize anyone. Just stated a fact.

Where did I say differently?

OK, where did I say differently?

That doesn't change the fact that 20V LiIon batteries are the same damned thing as 18V LiIon batteries.

See. There is no reason. Thank you for supporting my assertion.

BTW, I have several DeWalt cordless tools. They *rarely* get used. With a few exceptions, they're junk.

Reply to
krw

...by a lawyer. ;-)

Reply to
krw

hope mine last that long

maybe that is the answer use gfi receptacles everywhere to protect us from this junk they are shipping by the container full

Reply to
Electric Comet

I think we are saying the same thing here. I doubt they come "with out" protection circuitry

Reply to
Leon

So why do you have them?

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's pretty simple, really. I didn't know what a piece of shit they were when I bought them. The circular saw isn't that bad but the rest makes up for it.

Reply to
krw

--------------------------------------------------------- You will have to define "glow red", but there was lots of smoke and stink.

The cool down was over night as I remember.

You are talking about 4/0 CU welding cable.

Remember this is the 1960's.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Oopsie. Too many negatives. Nevermind!

The company I used to work for put the "gas gauge" in the "tool" but the battery still had overload protection. You're right. The battery supplier wouldn't have supplied the pack without at least the minimal protection.

Reply to
krw

Unless it was sitting in water, I doubt that it was a real ground fault. Likely a bad GFCI (likely from China, too).

Reply to
krw

When I was in school, the college got some stuff from a big company.

There was a really neat spot welder in the stuff. Bunch of Solid state stuff. But the spot welder was legend in the department.

When turned on - it was RF power dumping in the copper stranded cables that were 1" in diameter and soft, soft copper. When the tips arc's melting a spot - the cables would dance about the table. We saw they were once bolted down and that is what we did. One fear was for the cables (bare wire) to bounce into each other. Just short of doing it, but heat expands metal. That was cool.

Mart> "Le>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

or more likely an overload GFI can be tripped by a current overload not just a short to ground

Reply to
Electric Comet