Dewalt nailers (or others??)

Folks,

Can someone tell me the difference between the Dewalt 51844 and the

51845 air drive nailers? (These are the full head, 20degree models). About the only difference I can see is the color of the magazine (xxx44 has black, xxx45 has silver). Specs seem the same. Any clarification?

Also, any experience with the 'factory refurb' models? Fixing to get started with a shop construction project and figured this makes sense

- but after that, use will be occasional, so maybe saving a few dollars would make sense. Advise respectfully requested.

(Then again, if these nailers are 'dogs', any enlightenment there would be appreciated, as well).

Thanks in advance,

-- john.

Reply to
jcatora

"jcatora" wrote in news:1172973300.773003.184290@

64g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:

I've used a Porter Cable FR350 full head nailer for the same type of use

- building out framing in a shed, a fencing project, garage shelving, rejoisting part of the living room floor. It worked well. And it was cheap! The neighbor (who started me on the wooddorking habit, BTW) had one that he loaned me, with all the nails anyone could ever need. Even wheeled the bigger compressor and longer, better air hose over. (he's a gloatable guy, too.)

But we've seen these refurbed (this one was) at the woodshows for very reasonable prices. Probably online, too. AllPro Tools, maybe?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Like Patriarch, I too have Porter-Cable air nailers though not the framer - yet!

I'd address your query about refurbished though.

Here's how I view it:

New - Most get a cursory inspection as they roll off the line; few get detailed checking, i.e. disassembly, etc. to check to make sure everything is just right. These have a warranty.

Refurbished - Most likely made it past the inspectors, failed and got sent back for "retraining/reeducation" These units, before they return to the general population, face the scrutiny and attention of one or two folks whose sole job it is to make sure they function properly. Most often, these also carry the standard warranty.

For my money, minor cosmetic blemishes and the "stigma" of being used notwithstanding, I'll take the refurbed unit at the inevitable discount over brand new on any day of the week.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Take this for what it's worth, but in discussions I've read regarding framing nailers, I seem to hear a lot of bad talk about the Dewalts. I own a Porter-Cable FC350, which is a clipped-head nailer. It has a problem with not feeding nails that I haven't solved. (I also have a PC coil roofing nailer that works just fine).When I framed my garage, my carpentry contractor friend and a couple of his carpenters came over to help. The pro carpenters said they liked Bostich the best. I had my dad's Bostich framer and had no problems with it at all.

todd

Reply to
todd

I see a couple of differences:

51844 Jam Clearing Requires 5mm or 3/16" Allen Key Integrated Rafter Hook No

51845 Jam Clearing Tool-free Integrated Rafter Hook Yes

Reply to
Nova

A little word of advice here. I just bought a new Framing nailer and had moderate experience with a gas operated Paslode. I own 4 other guns that I have had up to 18 years so I am not new to nail guns. Nailshooter has a wealth of knowledge concerning framing nailers as he owns and has owned quite a few through out the past years. I have noticed that every one has hopped on the band wagon and offer their won bagged line of nailers. I would be leery of the new kid on the block brands. If they have not been building guns for 8 to 10 years I did not really consider them for serious consideration. There are numerous factors to consider when purchasing a Framing gun. Unlike most all other type guns you have to consider and choose whether to go with wire, paper, or plastic collated, full or clipped head, single shot or bump fire, power to drive long nails in a variety of materials, and the list goes on. I went with a Bostitch nailer as per Nailshooter's recommendation. Still American made and now has a 7 year limited warranty. Cheap too, by comparison. I could have gotten one on Amazon for $169.00 but went local and paid $30 more for that piece of mind of buying from the repair and supply company. The gun performed faultlessly on its first job shooting some 800-900 nails. Something to think about.

Reply to
Leon

For several years a part of my duties was to unjam / repair / rebuild industrial staplers and I'd climb over a pallet full of other brands to get to a Bostich. Other brands would require a 10-15 minute tear down to clear a jam. Bostich could be back in business in roughly 30-60 seconds. Other brands were notorious for jamming under even light duty. I had roughly 30 Bostich staplers on the floor and 2-3 from other brands. I'd see the others in my repair station more often than the Bostichs. As quickly as I could in good conscience discard the other brands, I did. If the cast housing on a Bostich isn't broken, it's probably repairable. Ninety percent of the time 'repair' was little more than a tear-down, clean up and re-assemble.

Don't over tighten the chamber head screws (brittle casting) and do lay in a small supply of the driving pistons. The staple advance spring could come undone but, unless you are a putz, it will go back on easily enough. I'm guessing that the nailers are about the same quality as the staplers. If so, there really isn't any other brand that I could recommend.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit