Dewalt DW718 early adopters: please comment

My first impression of the new offering from DeWALT was not too positive. If you have one already, please share your observations. My issues were that it was hard to start sliding and the business end had more lateral play than the DW708. I'm planning on finding a second sample to determine if the first sample was typical, but in the meantime I'd appreciate comments from others who've "kicked the tires".

Dave

Reply to
David

I spent a great deal of time this morning inspecting another 718. It suffers from the same maladies as the other sample I spoke of earlier.

Now I'm considering a Makita LS1214L or F. Comments from owners would be appreciated. I haven't found one to look at in person, but I liked it's smaller cousin, the LS1013L

Dave

Reply to
David

I played with one at the woodworking show on sunday. I wasn't real impressed with the lateral play either. I think the switch to the side-by-side bars instead of one over the other like the 708 has to negatively affect this. The rep at the show sounded like they were more concerned with how much space behind the machine was required, and how their depth stops worked. I wish everyone would focus on rigidity/deflection and dust collection.

There's a new home depot down the road from my house that has them both on display. But neither had a blade in them which made it real hard to see the play. With the blade in you can pull it down to the throat plate and have a straight line to compare it to.

I had written off the dewalt infavor of pc, bosch, hitachi, or makita. But since I can't play with any of them, it's hard to decide. I'm so pleased with my latest bosch tools though that I'm sort of leaning that way. The best place I can think of to check out the tools is berlands house of tools here in chicago. I'm hoping that they have them all on display. Some have dual lasers sounds, and one has a digital lcd display. That looks neat, but I'm not sure how useful it really is since it only goes in half degree increments.

I wasn't impressed with the dewalt laser either. I had a hard time focusing on it. It almost looks like TV snow to me, only in red instead of black and white. Setting the blade on the line just seems so much more accurate to me. The laser line seems fat to me also. I'm hoping that the other lasers have a finer, easier to see line.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Thanks for your input, Brian. I started another thread here earlier today after looking at a Makita. It was smoother and had less play than the DeWalt, but it was their 10 incher. Now I'm going to focus on getting info on the LS1214L.

Dave

Reply to
David

Something doesn't make sense. Having the bars side-by-side SHOULD minimize the lateral play. It should be more rigid against side-to-side movement. This should be evident enough to any mechanical engineer that one wonders why it was ever done differently.

I'm not saying you didn't see what you clearly did see, but I think there must be some other reason for the lateral play.

About a month ago I got interested in getting a SCMS ... some day. But first I want to hear from some people who are very happy with some particular model. Second, I need about $500.

Regards,

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

The bars don't flex much; it's the motor assy that's hanging off the end of the bars that moves. You can see the assy move in relation to the bars when you grab the handle and gently push side to side. What do you expect from plastic construction? :)

Dave

Reply to
David

Thanks for clarifying.

It seems that the potential quality of this type of saw is better than what is available (or at least better than most of the saws available).

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

I long for the days of polished cast aluminum construction. No one would pay the price for it I guess.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning