Dewalt DW708 Help

Looking for advice for anyone who has worked with a Dewalt DW708.
I picked one up really cheap from a friend of mine. The only known problem was that it had been dropped on the bevel adjustment dial on the rear and the shaft appears bent. Basically, when you loosen the bevel, the entire colar separates slightly from the mating table section (I tried this with the demo model at the Borg and it definitely does not behave the same). I tried removing the entire upper part of the saw by loosening the bevel crank and pulling the arm and all off but it would not budge. Checked the exploded view and could not find anything that would seem to be locking the top half onto the shaft.
Does anyone have any advice from similar first-hand experience? Yes, I realize that I can take it to an authorized Dewalt service center but I checked the estimated cost and suddently my bargain looked like a bargain no more.
Thanks for any help/advice, Jim
McKelvey wrote:

You could call Dewalt and explain the problem to them. In my calls to them, they've been *very* helpful determining where problems lie. In addition, when I've brought things into the Dewalt/BD service center, they've likewise helped to diagnose the problems.
~Mark.