DeWalt Battery Information

I have rebuilt a few packs before. Pop the open and measure the size, goto digikey or mouser and pick the one that matches. They can even weld them together for you. A couple years ago my makita 9.6v batteries were selling for $30-$35 and it would cost me $25 for new cells plug a bit to ship. Now my batteries are selling for $35-40 so its getting more economical for me to rebuild one. I'll probably order a set of cells next time I place an order from one of the above.

Reply to
Eugene

I have an 18 volt XR series of tools and batteries. At least one of them is starting to go bad. I have three sets of batteries.

Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these sets versus replacing them? What cells are inside? C? Sub C? etc?? What exactly would it take and what should I look for in a cell to replace them.

Lowes sells the entire pack $89 for one or $99 for two! DUH, who wouldn't spend the $10 for another one. I still think I would be better off replacing the cells if I could.

Let me know your thoughts or experience with doing this.

Gloat...Lowes let me have the 18 Volt cordless reciprocating saw for $45....

Have a great Labor Day everyone! Labor is what I will endure. Building my 16X20 shed for my tools.

Regards!

Elmar

Reply to
Elmar

DAGS for this newsgroup, and you'll see threads on this topic from the recent past.

I posted before, and I'll post it again, check out Batteries Plus. You can find the location of stores at their website,

And now my disclaimer. My son is a manager at one of these franchises in PA. I have no financial interest in the franchise or the company (although I'd like to see him be successful at this business!). I just know what they're capable of.

They can rebuild the DeWalt and other packs, ususally at about half the price of new. He's rebuilt the pack for my Makita drill, and it works great. I also got an aftermarket pack for the same drill, and it works great. They also rebuild and sell new batteries for computer UPS systems, watches, cell phones, motor homes, cars, boats, etc. If it has a battery, they can usually rebuild it, or they sell it new.

FYI

Nick B.

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

I went to the B+ franchise here in Louisville, Kentucky and they told me = they wont touch my 15.6v B&D. Too bad I like the tools but hate the idea = of buying new batteries every couple years. Puff

disclaimer. My=20

financial=20

Reply to
Puff Griffis

I wouldnt even bother rebuilding them at 2 for $99. Buy 'em from Lowes.

There's 15 cells in that pack. Let's figure a rough price of $3 a cell (I dont think i've ever seen them at that price, btw). You're already at $45 for 1 battery and you havent even figured in the cost of labor.

The local Ace hardware had them for 2 for $89. So now I have 2 new batteries. Sheesh, you dont even see them on ebay for that price.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

You're absolutely right.....

I also can't believe they can jam that many sells in there!!!!

Reply to
Elmar

I dropped my 12V DeWalt batt off at a rebuilder last week. This is the standard OEM battery, not the XR.

"10 cells @ 3.50" = $ 35.00 CDN/24.00 US

Supposed to p/u Tues.

Reply to
Rudy