Dewalt 735 thickness planer

It seems that Lowe's has lowered their price to $498. And there is 17% off until 3/31/08. DW735 for around $400 does not seem to bad a price to pay.

Reply to
Jerome

Infinity cutting tools has better knives for the dw735.

"Specialty Planer & Jointer Knives

These premium quality HSS Planer knives are forged from a special grade of German tool steel. This material is extremely resistant to abrasion and wear while their deep hardening properties make them particularly suitable for tools requiring repeated sharpening.

Currently we offer specialty knives for the DeWalt 735 planer. These knives have two ground edges so you can change sides once one becomes dull. Our knives should hold their edge longer under normal conditions and they can be sharpened with a diamond hone. "

Reply to
Jerome

Lowe's is a long drive for me but that does sound interesting when combined with the hundred dollar card I got for Christmas.

But all I can find is a drop to 455 at Delavan WI. Doesn't say anything about 17% off. Is that a store thing, or something off on all DeWalt stuff, or something like that?

Reply to
else24

Here the price is $455 after applying the 17% off.

Reply to
Pat

$410.85Boone, NC Reflects Lower Local Price.

Give them a call. If you are really serious about the dw735 then maybe they will match another Lowe's price.

Looks like Home Depot also has 17% off certain Dewalt tools.

Reply to
Jerome

the 17% off is an in store rebate from home deopt, not sure lowes has it. Ours doesnt.

Reply to
sh6s5w9y1qjnqfrnr6qw

>> $410.85

I bought a 735 from Lowes back in November. While the price was still $500 at that time, they were throwing a $85 DeWalt ROS in the deal for free, so that made the 735 price about the same as what they are offering it for now. I needed a new ROS anyway and I've been happy with both of them.

After the first time that I used it I went on Amazon and bought the dust collector hose/bag package for it because the chips came out of the 735 so fast that they hit the wall 15' away. What a mess it made of my shop! Then I bought Delta's miter saw/planer stand that folds down like a hand truck from Lowes to mount the planer on so that I can easily take the whole thing outside when I do a significant amount of planing. The 735 is just too heavy to try to muscle around without it. When I'm not doing planing the whole thing stands up on end in the corner of my shop reducing its floor space needs to about 2 1/2 square foot, very important when the shop is small. The planer is a bit wide for the Delta stand so a piece of 3/4 birch ply is needed to adapt the base of the planer to the mounting rails of the stand, but it was very easy to make. Now I have an easy to set up and use planer that I can use wherever I need it with minimum mess to clean up after using it.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

I paid $650.00 (including the stand) and it was worth every penny. DeWalt's claims of snipe reduction are fairly accurate. I've planed chair rails flush to one another after cutting mortise and tenons without wrecking the piece.

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for the tip. I've been in the market for a jointer and planer this month. I stopped at 3 different Lowes on the way home but they were all sold out. The price is still marked at $549 but there's a card there stating that it's 17% off, taken at the register. It comes to $455.67 before tax.

Reply to
dcamron71

Around here (North Carolina) the price is $499 and they have the 17% sticker. Somebody is trying to get an extra $50 out of you. I would go back and ask why they want more than the other stores for their pre-discount price. Then, maybe, try to find another store with the $499 price if they don't co-operate, or try them on the internet.(I haven't looked there yet)

Charley

Reply to
Charley

How long do those thin disposable knives last? My neighbor has one and he has problem with it as the knives don't stay sharp for long. I have the old one with the thick knives that could be sharpen many times. Hit a knot couple of months ago and torn off the gears and related parts - good thing is parts are available and reasonably priced, even for the old version. Why did DeWalt switched disposable knives?

Reply to
Frank

"My first few board feet were pine, so, no problem, but my passes on pecan had the machine smoking and stalling. I was only taking off paper-thin amounts but the wood came out burned every time. It took me hours to plane 35 board feet of 1 1/4 inch rough pecan to 3/4, using both sides of the knives, and I almost gave up the project all together. In frustration I did an internet search on Dewalt planer replacement knives and found ONE company that made their own high speed steel knives specifically for the Dewalt planer. Theirs are only a few dollars more and are resharpenable. I have planed another 30 feet of pecan in 1/10 the time and am still on the same knife edge. No smoke or burn marks and I can take off a lot more wood on each pass. Dewalt must deliberately make flimsy, disposable knives to guarantee a revenue stream and I don't understand why more companies don't make alternatives. The company I purchased the blades from is Infinity Tools, and the knives are under "Specialty Planer and Jointer Knives." I ordered another set almost immediately and I'm still on the first knife side of the first set! If I had not found an alternative source for knives I would not be able to recommend this planer. I have a spare set of Dewalt knives that will never see the outside of the package."

Reply to
Jerome

I found that most of the new knives out of the package for the 735 had small nicks. I'm on my 5th set of knives and have run 100's of BF of red cedar thru the unit.

Before I install the new blades I hone them on a piece of MDF charged with rubbing compound and chalk, this seems to make them last longer and keeps the nicks that are already on the blade from causing too many problems.

Reply to
Modat22

That pretty much killed it for me. I've got the 733. It's loud, it only has two knives, and the shroud is a little bit of a pain but it cuts good and there's hardly any snipe since I've been using a shelf board as an extended infeed/outfeed table.

I just had it repaired and I was thinking of combining my lowe's gift card and this sale to buy it and then sell the 733, but now I think I'll keep the 733 a few more years.

If I have to get a couple sets of after-market knives, it doesn't look like that great a deal any more. Especially when this one still works fine. I'll hunt around for something else to blow that gift card on.

I like this group. :-)

Reply to
else24